Machspeed

Taillight Panel Replacement

I'm considering replacing the taillight panel on my 69 Mach 1. I've searched the web, and our forums here, but find very little. Can anyone provide? I changed out the whole radiator support assembly and both inner fenders on this car, so I'm confident I can do this. I just want some pictures or even a video as to were it is spot welded. 

Also, I see NPD has a Taillight Panel, "New Tooling, thicker metal. Can anyone comment? It's comparatively a little pricy.  

https://www.npdlink.com/product/panel-taillight-improved-repro-thicker-metal-new-tooling/147051/485

Machspeed,

Although the below links detail a 70 tail light panel replacement, the process is virtually identical.  Hope this helps!

http://1970boss302.blogspot.com/2011/10/tail-light-panel-and-trunk-floor-part-1.html

http://1970boss302.blogspot.com/2012/03/tail-light-panel-and-trunk-floor-part.html

Regards,

On 11/7/2018 at 7:42 PM, mustangstofear said:

Make sure you have a  gasket on the decklid so you can see if it's  sealing up  before you  weld the panel in. 

Speaking of the deck lid, where the tail panel meets quarter extension, where the deck lid gasket would lay if the lid is closed, mine had brazing in there. Is that something ford did or a previous owner?  Looking at mike65’s pic, it would be about where his welding cable is laying 

29 minutes ago, shelbyshelby said:

Speaking of the deck lid, where the tail panel meets quarter extension, where the deck lid gasket would lay if the lid is closed, mine had brazing in there. Is that something ford did or a previous owner?  Looking at mike65’s pic, it would be about where his welding cable is laying 

Ford brazed that area to fill the gap so water won't get in. That panel between trunk and rear window has also brazing where it joins to the quarter panel.

One more thing, if the part has brazing material left on it (like when you are attaching a new panel to old panel that was brazed) you have to grind all of the brazing material, because you can't weld on to braze. If all of the parts are new, you can mig the gap, but if there is brazing left on one of the panels, I would braze that joint because it is difficult to remove all the brazing material wicked into nicks and folds etc.