Cantedvalve

Show off your home brew tools!

I am in the middle of making a sheet metal brake, and I thought it would be fun to see what other tools people have built to use in working on their cars.  I dont have any pictures to add yet, but I will when I get it done.

Let's have it!

5 hours ago, Cantedvalve said:

I am in the middle of making a sheet metal brake, and I thought it would be fun to see what other tools people have built to use in working on their cars.  I dont have any pictures to add yet, but I will when I get it done.

Let's have it!

Bend brake or press ?

7 hours ago, Cantedvalve said:

Let's have it!

Som build pics would be great .

I would love to build a press break ,the welding shop in town has dies in twenty foot lengths ,i would have to have at least an 8 foot break that could bend 16 gauge 

Here are the two I’ve taken so far. First one shows where I ground the edge flat on the clamp bar, so that when I bend, I get a tight radius.  Second one shows the clamp bar mocked up.  I have brackets on each end where the studs and wing nuts will go.  Will also have springs in there to raise the bar when loosening so I can get the work piece out.  I worked on it some more tonight... welded up the clamp bar... but no pictures.

B328D015-5455-4D8B-840F-3EF41431BA9E.jpeg

C793A7BA-9D0D-49E4-A40B-2DE19A9DBFFE.jpeg

Now that I am into this, I am thinking of building a nice weld and fabrication table.  That table that I am building the brake on is actually an old restaurant work table.  There is still part of an industrial can opener attached... I'll take that off.  Get some 1/8" sheet as a table topper.  Recess the brake onto one edge of the table (still have to figure out what to make the base of the brake from... thought C channel , but I think maybe 1/4" plate).

22 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

I want to do one with a elictric reduction motor .When i sand blast i have to shut the blaster down to spin it ,electric motor i just hit the button

I used the electric motor from a treadmill I found at the dump to power my bead roller. Used a starter gear and a flexplate to increase the torque and reduce the speed. Use the foot control of my TIG welder to start and adjust the speed and a switch to change direction of rotation.

That motor with starter gear and flexplate  should have enough torque to spin if the car is balanced on the rotisserie.

Its balanced ,i can turn it to any position and it will stay . I found a reduction gear box and electric motor combo ,i forget what the reduction is but it turns very slow ,i was thinking about a foot pedal for a sewing machine may make it even slower .

I like your idea for the bead roller ,it is hard to feed the metal in and crank the roller at the same time

On 11/6/2018 at 11:06 AM, Ridge Runner said:

Now this wrench right here...this is sweet 

20181106_110536.png

Necessity is the mother of invention. I was shocked when I was a youngster and saw my dad had cut one end off an end wrench. I thought tools were gold, and shouldn't me messed with. 

2 hours ago, RPM said:

Necessity is the mother of invention. I was shocked when I was a youngster and saw my dad had cut one end off an end wrench. I thought tools were gold, and shouldn't me messed with. 

I always thought it was a mother when you didnt have the correct tool!

My dad has made a few wrenches out of my wrenches...not quite as good as yours though 

I keep waiting to find one of my snap on cut up

Worked on it some more... notched the base for the hinges, welded in the hinges, and it is basically done except for the clamp bolts and handles.  Here is where I am at.

4ED4DBF8-69F8-448C-AC02-A1F6B6E72C35.thumb.jpeg.ff03b40cf0d71e1f48867963de009cc3.jpeg57593AF0-6243-4F16-A718-32F6047A0312.thumb.jpeg.0c390fcf95e12614af038de7707554bb.jpeg

And I need to clean it up and paint it.  I think I will end up affixing it to that table once I have it complete.

and I really need to clean up that bench.

It’s all assembled.  Needs cleaned up and painted, but it is done.  Finished the hold down screws last night.  Did you know you can weld stainless to regular steel (yeah, I know I’m the last to know)?

9722E461-E9DF-45AE-88D2-CE0558121DD4.thumb.jpeg.efeb32e64e79cc3d3ace11617a98d175.jpeg

Awww... her first bend

C535BE90-DEBF-454A-8965-C1762D9CE92F.thumb.jpeg.6bbc181923465c5aaa1a3b05a39b137e.jpeg

need to devise a way to hold it down to the table.  Probably some counter sunk screws.