FrankN

Chrome strip edge of passenger window 69 sportsroof

The chrome strip has come off the edge on my passenger window, I suspect that it may have fallen inside the door and may be rattling around the bottom of it.

Is this something that happens, or is it unusual, I've only had the car for a few months. Are replacements available to buy new?

are they easy to install?

what do I use - glue? automotive silicon??

any input welcome.

2 hours ago, Brian Conway said:

It is stainless steel so you maybe able to fish it out of the door with a magnet ?  Brian

I'm not sure it's stainless or not.  FYI:  300 series stainless steels are not magnetic, i.e. 304, 304L, 308, 308L and on.  400 series stainless steels contain enough iron to be magnetic, i.e. 409, 410, and on.

Anyway, originally on my car those pieces had no glue and were pressed on with a rubber filler strip in them.  When reinstalling them, I left the rubber inserts in them and put a light film of urethane on the rubber to bond it to the glass.

Hello FrankN,

Yes you can find the channels and parts at most of the big Mustang suppliers like CJ Pony, MUstangs unlimited etc

Take a look at this link.

I replaced mine about 2 years ago - and not quite certain but about 90% sure there is a small screw located

at the bottom of the stainless - zoom on the picture - -it helps hold the stainless. When I installed mine I

purchased some glue  that was recommended - -I think a good silicone would work just fine. I am pretty certain I

put only a few drops of silicone/glue in the channel - -not much at all.

I would think you will find the trim in the door - -but at least you know you can purchase it.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/fb-ss-w-s-channel-kit-stainless-window-channels-and-w-strips-1969-1970/p/DWCK/

Good luck - -Print Dad - Sam

On my 69 and 70 coupes the small screw on the bottom of the stainless trim is to secure the weather strip that slides on the trim; I would think that the screw on fastback trims is for the weather strip also.

I have the glass out of my doors and i pulled off the trim ,i dont remember it being screwed ,only pinched on but i will look at the stainles trim and the goor glass to day . It kind of seem to me i remember the bottom of the glass sticking past the lower mounting bracket i dont see how it would screw on ,i will let you know

The glass does over hand the lower mounting bracket on the 69 and the 70.The stainless trim does not attach to anything other pressing to the edge of the glass. The stainless trim does have a screw hole at the bottom ,but that is to hold the rubber to the stainless . This glass and stainless trim is from my CJ and there is not a trace of any type of glue ,they simply pressed on . I can remember hooking my shirt sleeve on the stainless on my old yellow Mach 1 ,and it came off and fell into the door .

20181107_072650.jpg

20181107_072714.jpg

20181107_072659.jpg