Ridge Runner

Insurance companies are crooks!

I had a similar problem with USAA when someone hit my trailer.

they totaled the trailer to the DMV before we even discussed how much I would get for it.

the little bastard set a price for the trailer that was too low and when I would not agree he said they don’t negotiate prices.

i made him send me all the information for how he came about the value for the trailer. When he sent me compaired the values of all kinds of trailer including the little harbor freight ones and mine is a full car trailer.

little bastard told me that’s how it’s done

i ended up  going around him and talking to his supervisor and explaining the issue.

supervisor made it right and applogized for the little bastards actions

the supervisor paid me what I had in the trailer (bought it used, damage was not that bad. Mostly bent the fender) and then set th salvage value at zero and told me to keep the trailer.

imfoxed the trailer and am still using it

Ridge, man, I feel for you. I know that feeling all too well, being in the jaws of these crooks...

Remember my 69, when I got rear ended 3 months after finishing a 2 and a half year frame off restoration?  My mistake was to let the other guy insurance take care of it. Of course they played with figures  and totaled it. They estimated the car was worth $21k (after the crash) and repairs over $25k. Just like that. Car is a Matching GT sportsroof. I mean with that kind of reasoning, you can total pretty much anything right? So why bother insuring a car?

My only luck was that the car was still registered in my home country. They were never able to find a US Title for it as I had brought it along with me for my 3 years tour in the USAF as a foreign exchange officer and was taking it back at the end. Ha! So I gritted my teeth, repaired it with my metal wizard of a friend, 2 months of very intensive  work, cost me $14k and 9 months later, I got a $15k check from them. And that only happened because my hundredth phone call was answered by someone different, who was actually ashamed of how honest people were being treated by her company. She fixed it in 3 hours. I bet this lady no longer works for this insurance company anymore. Or any insurance company at all.

There is something extremely wrong about the way US insurances operate. I do not understand why the Law is not protecting people more than this. May be because insurance people are mostly lawyers?

They say you can vote against laws. That it’s better than breaking them. How do we do this, huh?

G

My insurance would have done the samething i am told . For some reason when you file a claim you sign away your rights to the vehicle ,even though you are the owner . I was told this will be the standard for insurance companies from now on ,they would rather total it ,what gets me is ,if they do pay you why does it have to be totaled ...it is a deturant to keek you from filing a claim ,if you are afraid to file a claim because you need your car and can afford another one you will think twice about filing a claim if you think you will loose your vehicle ...yes ,they are friggen crooks

Dealing with insurance company claims is like going to the DMV, you never know who you're going to get. Have you ever worked for a company that had complete idiot working next to you? Well, insurance companies (you can really insert any profession or job title here) have the same set up going. 

An insurance company can't total a vehicle thru the DMV without your signature.  It can't be done. In a total loss claim, all you're doing is selling them your car. They can't buy it without your signature. Can a private party buy your car without your consent? Not in my part of the world. 

Still, they try and make you believe they can do this type of thing. They literally bully people around, when you actually pay them all your life to get a little psychological and financial comfort, the day things go south.

Have we really made any progress since Attila and the Huns?

They told me it was a done deal and nothing i could do about it ,it was already turned into dmv as totaled ,we never signed a thing . I am still sure they totaled it on the check they sent for the water meter because she let that slip ,cussed that bit** up one side and down the other ,she told me she is a licensed insurance agent and i told her that doesnt mean shi* ,i know they screwed up but not much i could do about it now because my dad cashed their check ,but i can tell you this will not happen again . I even called the state insurance commisioner ,and he was full of shi* also ...we need to change some crap in this country ,they work for us ,we do not work for them

16 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

They told me it was a done deal and nothing i could do about it ,it was already turned into dmv as totaled ,we never signed a thing . I am still sure they totaled it on the check they sent for the water meter because she let that slip ,cussed that bit** up one side and down the other ,she told me she is a licensed insurance agent and i told her that doesnt mean shi* ,i know they screwed up but not much i could do about it now because my dad cashed their check ,but i can tell you this will not happen again . I even called the state insurance commisioner ,and he was full of shi* also ...we need to change some crap in this country ,they work for us ,we do not work for them

This sounds like something permitted by your state, This does not happen here in the NE, but even if they total a car here they have to tell you and you can refuse, also you have the right to buy it back.