rays69mach1

69 351W exhaust headers--what works best?

I would like to install headers on my 69 Mach1 351W automatic.  What have you used on your car and do they really fit well.  How have they held up over time from rust or cracking. Is stainless or ceramic coated the best choice. Any info would be very helpful.  Thanks, Ray

Hello

I have installed JBA Shorties , stainless steel - very easy to fit they also clear the TCP rack and pinion setup.

Change of spark plugs is easy - road clearance much better than previous Hooker full length headers. Under hood temp seems also much lower.

I fitted the shorties with the JBA side exhaust system (mid pipe + side exhaust) 

IMG_3573.jpg

I also have JBA short headers, 351W and 4sp in a 1969 Mach 1.  Well, they are a little longer than short, I think JBA calls them MId Length.  Mine are the silver ceramic coated.  Don't go ceramic coated if they are being used on a new motor during the initial start-up.  Sometimes the increased temps on a new motor will burn off some of the ceramic coating.  They fit perfectly until I tried to reinstall the original power steering.  For some dumb idiotic reason JBA decided to put the drivers side collector directly above the power steering ram and point it straight at the ram.  The header fit, but with factory power steering and stock 4sp clutch linkage there is no space for the exhaust.  Even with one of those extended drop brackets on the ram.  To have power steering again I installed a Borgeson power steering kit.  Bottom line, JBA short headers fit fine, but will not fit with both stock power steering and stock clutch linkage.

I used Doug's shorties.  They fit easily.  Actually you can take them out without moving the engine. Ceramic.  Expensive but look great.

One caution.  In many catalogues they will claim the headers are for a Small Block Ford.  Make sure they are actually for a 351 not a 302.  It needs to specify 351.  The deck height is different and will create significant interferences.   I started with Hookers that stated fits small block Ford.  I returned those and purchased the Dougs.