newstang

3 point seat belt in convertible ?

I know im jumping the gun here, but i think t would be best to figure out what i should use and weld in the nuts while the car is in its bare form.

has anyone done 3 point seatbelts in a convertible?  any pics and what you used would be a great help.

67 and 68 Mustang convertible had an option for a shoulder belt - with an additional lap belt like the 68 and 69 hardtop.   The belt mounted way back almost to the trunk and ran between the rear interior side panel and the back seat.   I have some Ford drawings for it somewhere.   Fairly rare option, but definitely factory option.  More well known is the 68 and 69 Shelby convertible shoulder like in the 2010 Mercedes ad above - for the incredibly lazy person who cannot be bothered to reach over their shoulder.

Most GM models 67-70 convertibles had an optional shoulder belt that mounted near the convertible power top piston.   Even had a little saddle for the buckle to sit in as they used the buckle on the end that went over the shoulder.

Should be relatively easy to set one up - and would be smarter to do it while it was all apart.  Hope it's not sacrilege to show a GM pic, but included one in case it might help - don't judge me.

bird_harness_01.jpg

9 minutes ago, Python said:

67 and 68 Mustang convertible had an option for a shoulder belt - with an additional lap belt like the 68 and 69 hardtop.   The belt mounted way back almost to the trunk and ran between the rear interior side panel and the back seat.   I have some Ford drawings for it somewhere.   Fairly rare option, but definitely factory option.  More well known is the 68 and 69 Shelby convertible shoulder like in the 2010 Mercedes ad above - for the incredibly lazy person who cannot be bothered to reach over their shoulder.

Most GM models 67-70 convertibles had an optional shoulder belt that mounted near the convertible power top piston.   Even had a little saddle for the buckle to sit in as they used the buckle on the end that went over the shoulder.

Should be relatively easy to set one up - and would be smarter to do it while it was all apart.  Hope it's not sacrilege to show a GM pic, but included one in case it might help - don't judge me.

bird_harness_01.jpg

Hey, I have S-10 calipers, corvette mirrors, as well as Fiat door handles on my yellow mach1. So the GM pic is more than ok :-)

I have some that I took out of a 85 Crown Vic, to give you ideas.  The picture with my fingers is the metal bracket the retractor mounts to.  Photo 166 is the retractor mounted by the door opening.   You can also see how I mounted the upper support by the top cylinder.  Cost me $30 to buy it at a junkyard.  I think the same system is used in old Ford Trucks.  

Picture 188.jpg

seat belt 12.jpg

Picture 175.jpg

Picture 172.jpg

Picture 166.jpg

Picture 169.jpg

Picture 171.jpg

Picture 162.jpg

thanks for the info. 

i found something similar on this site below

9 hours ago, danno said:

I have some that I took out of a 85 Crown Vic, to give you ideas.  The picture with my fingers is the metal bracket the retractor mounts to.  Photo 166 is the retractor mounted by the door opening.   You can also see how I mounted the upper support by the top cylinder.  Cost me $30 to buy it at a junkyard.  I think the same system is used in old Ford Trucks.  

Picture 188.jpg

seat belt 12.jpg

Picture 175.jpg

Picture 172.jpg

Picture 166.jpg

Picture 169.jpg

Picture 171.jpg

Picture 162.jpg

,  that brings the belt forward. Its from an Econoline van.  problem is they go for about $300 each.

IMG_2780

I went out to a salvage yard one day and walked around looking at what could work. It gives you ideas. I think my idea was perfect and cheap, and cheap is what I am all about! My method is not tested, maybe in a bad accident it would not work.  First cannot think of a bad accident happening, but even if it did, I am confident my method would reduce my injuries.   I can tell you more about it if you want, but the photos say a lot.  

8 hours ago, danno said:

I went out to a salvage yard one day and walked around looking at what could work. It gives you ideas. I think my idea was perfect and cheap, and cheap is what I am all about! My method is not tested, maybe in a bad accident it would not work.  First cannot think of a bad accident happening, but even if it did, I am confident my method would reduce my injuries.   I can tell you more about it if you want, but the photos say a lot.  

I agree, anything is better than what it lacks anyway. so adding this type of seatbelt is way better than a lap belt