Caseyrhe

70 Convertible top replacement

Well, as in most cases, 1 step forward, 3 steps back....got the new cylinders and hoses installed. Pump works great lowering top but not so much rasing it. Does anyone know if they are rebuildable? Rebuild kit available?

Now that Christmas is over and hunting season ends next week, I spent a little time in the shop. Got the templates made, large hole goes over a cap nut, small hole for coat hanger screw. Rebuilt the pump, which now works. Balls were corroded up along with tension see-saw clip froze up. Top works!! Now just a few hot days to install the top. 

Heres the kit I used, sure beats the cost of a new pump. 

8A1E3314-BB87-4AB3-A770-8A27FE571127.png

Mine conv top also has trouble going up.  I thougth there was air in the lines, but could not fill it anymore and working it up and down does not seem to improve it much. Is it possible that after 50 years it is worn out?   I tell you, they just to not make new things that last that long.  That is probably up and down  maybe 3000 times at 60 times an average of 60 times a year. 

I am on my second top.  The factory one lasted until 1985,  I had the one on it now installed in 1985 that is still on.  It is showing weakness, though, so I need to consider doing it also.  I am watching this for progress reports and details in case I decide to do it myself.   

Got my vert back from the shop a couple of months ago.  They replaced one of the cylinders, and now the top doesn't seem to want to come forward enough to latch.  I had to adjust out the hooks a LONG way to latch it, and it seems crooked now.  It appears to me that the side with the new cylinder needs to extend forward just a bit more.  Is there an adjustment to the cylinder mount that can be made?  I haven't taken the back seat out yet to look.

Thanks for this post, OP!

It's been a while since I've looked at mine but there is a lot of adjustment available in the convertible top frame but I don't know about the cylinder. Was your top and weatherstripping recently replaced? It takes a while for the weatherstripping on top of the windshield to settle. As long as your latches are holding the top snug and reasonably aligned without being unscrewed to the point of falling out, you're probably ok.

So I was able to adjust the frame mount (I loosened the three bolts on the side with the new cylinder, and shook the frame side to side) so that now the top is even left/right with the front windshield when up (not latched).  I'm still having trouble getting it to come forward enough.  My door glass is aligned, and their is a gap between the quarter and the weatherstripping, and I have to pull down and forward HARD at the Number 2 bow joint just to get the hooks to engage.  When I say hard, it's like doing a pull-up, and I'm a big guy...

Since working on this last night, I'm going to see if the weatherstripping needs trimmed or adjusted.  The body shop installed it back in August, so they nay not have gotten it just right, especially now that the windows are adjusted.