smh00n

A Southeast road trip in 2019

Me and my wife are planning a road trip from New Orleans across to Charlotte/Atlanta/? next fall.

We like country rock music - Jason Aldean sorta stuff - and a bit of history along with vehicles.

Are there any places we gotta visit? We'll have 3 weeks so a bit of time but then again not so much time.

Whats the deal with owning cars there? To rent a car is probably about $3,000US so would it be cheaper to buy a clunker (that is reliable) and then leave it or sell it? Probably a rookie question but when you are paying 25c more for every dollar spent every little bit helps.

I remember a mate of mine bought a 1970s Plymouth station wagon and chucked a foam mattress in the back and covered most of american and Canada, when he was finished, he just left the car in the car park at the airport. i doubt your wife would be game enough (just saying) for the same experience. ;-)

You will pass right by this place if it interests you;

http://www.thebighousemuseum.com/

And the Biltmore House in Asheville, NC is a must see if you like that sort of history.  It might take a little detour to get there North from Atlanta then East to Charlotte, but the area is very pretty with mountains and Asheville is a cool town worth exploring.

Buying a car and selling it within 3 weeks would be a huge hassle. We had some South African friends do it a few years back but they were here for months. So if you go the purchase route you'll probably have to donate the car at the end of the trip as a 100% right off. That means you'll need to spend $2000 or less on your clunker and that's not going to get you something you'll want to hang in during the heat of Southern US. And if it breaks down during that time it'll ruin your trip.

Also, I think $3K for 3 weeks estimate is a pretty high estimate. I'll bet you'll get that down to around $1-1.2K