Sign in to follow this  
MustangRanch

New headliner - need to remove seatbelts and hanger hooks

Ok, so there's a million posts/youtubes on how to install seat belts, and how to put in headliners - but they all say: "after you've removed your...."

My seat belt plastic covers are pretty tight and I don't want to break them taking them off.  Is there a trick to removing seat belts?  Also - the little hanger hooks. How do they come off?

Thanks in advance!

Yeah, so those covers are a bit hard to unsnap.  Just be careful.  The hangars are actually a lot easier than you think.  They are plastic, and held in with screws.  You don't see the screws you say?  Well, then take the rubber cover off!  That's right, that black rubber cover (assuming its black), slides up and off, revealing the screw.  Once you get that cover off, just unscrew it.  Its a flexible rubber, so while you should be careful, it isn't going to snap.  Remember, its slides up.  Good luck!

Yup, you just have to pry away the plastic cover on the seat belt to uncover the bolt. They are pretty thick, so they won't tear. At least mine didn't when I removed them 6 years ago. But go slow. No need to hurry this job.

Lol.... Yea, exactly... I can't see the screws!  Thanks for the help.  I didn't know the plastic came off to get the screw. 

I guess I'll just keep carefully working off the seatbelt cover.  

Now to check my laws and see if I can 'accidentally' not reinstall that shoulder belt when I'm done.

Thanks all!

So... Yah... Heres some pics to help out the next poor schmuck that tries to do this to a 50-year-old coupe.

The seat belt covers don't come off. they're held in with the screw on the back. Your only option is to pry the cover back enough to get to screw.

1103181141.jpg

1103181142.jpg

1103181144.jpg

1103181146b.jpg

1103181147.jpg

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 1:00 PM, MustangRanch said:

So... Yah... Heres some pics to help out the next poor schmuck that tries to do this to a 50-year-old coupe.

The seat belt covers don't come off. they're held in with the screw on the back. Your only option is to pry the cover back enough to get to screw.

1103181141.jpg

1103181142.jpg

1103181144.jpg

1103181146b.jpg

1103181147.jpg

Getting ready to install my belts now and trying to figure out the shoulder bolt cover without ruining it. Are you certain this is how your car came from the factory? Before I saw this post I was just planning to use a hair dryer to warm up the plastic cover and try to slide it over the head of the bolt. Almost certain I would ruin the cover it if I tried it your way and of course the 70 interior assembly manual is of no help.

Shoulder Bolt.jpg

I cannot guarantee these came from the factory this way.  It's just how they were for me.

As you can see, mine did not like the method I used.  They were marred and stretched from the process.  I just assumed they were probably more flexible 50 yrs ago.

Thanks. I spoke to Stewart at Python who restored my belts and confirmed that what you have is the correct. He suggested heating them up with a hair dryer and they went in without issue and also kept their shape. 

Cantedvalve - The hard plastic covers you listed I believe are for later years as I see them referenced in the 70 interior manual. The male end is different and a better setup for storing the belts when not in use from what I can see.

belts.jpg