aslanefe

Passenger door glass issue

Working on a 69 Grande, original door, original glass runs (correct RHS runs), original glass that has been previously re-glued to the brackets (the bracket placements in regards to glass front or back seems to be fine but the rear bracket does not follow the curvature of the glass perfectly).  When you roll the window up, the glass does not touch the felt on the outside; there is about 1/4 inches gap. When you roll the window down, the glass touches the felt. The top bracket of the glass run at the rear of the door stands about 1/4 inches inward when tightened compared to the driver's side door which has the original door that has been re-skinned before. I do not think that aligning the curvature of the glass and glued bracket will fix the issue of not contacting the felt when window is rolled up. No glass alignment will help. One option is to cut the top bracket of the glass run and weld it back 1/4 inches outboard. Other option is to move the mounting point on the top of the door frame 1/4 inches outboard somehow.

Anybody encountered this issue, if so how did you fix it?

By loosening the bolt on the bottom of the door, the guide rods can be adjusted inboard and outboard. But it sounds like you've tried that and it doesn't do it for you. Another possibility is that the glass was glued at an incorrect angle. The glass should be parallel to the bracket sides.

The glass has been re-glued previously. Although glass is not glued right (I will re-glue it correcly after I separate them), it is not the problem as I installed bolt in glass from 70 Cougar with the same result. One of the problem was theRepops brand outside windowfelt is not as thick as the original one (about 1/8" difference). Looks like the glass never touched the felt from the factory as the one I removed was hard but not deformed at all.

Looks like the glass never touched the felt from the factory as the one I removed was hard but not deformed at all.

That's always a possibility. These were inexpensive cars built to be inexpensive 50 years ago. Lots of slop in the build tolerances, LOL. 

I have the bolt in 70 glass in my 69 and the passenger side doing the same thing and had to cut the top bracket loose from the rod and then re weld it in a position to move the glass outward. I never really understood why but never the less it worked.  

7 hours ago, det0326 said:

I have the bolt in 70 glass in my 69 and the passenger side doing the same thing and had to cut the top bracket loose from the rod and then re weld it in a position to move the glass outward. I never really understood why but never the less it worked.  

Did you replace the outside window felt while you change the glass or used the originals? If so do you remember who the manufacturer was?

I had to do what you did to my 70 Grande over 20 years ago when I restored it. But with the Repops window felt I have now which is not as thick, I have to move the bracket so much that then there is going to be a gap between glass and felt on the door panel. I moved the bracket top mounting points on the door frame, if I can find a window felt as thick as the originals, I think it is going to work without cutting the bracket and rewelding.

16 hours ago, aslanefe said:

Did you replace the outside window felt while you change the glass or used the originals? If so do you remember who the manufacturer was?

I had to do what you did to my 70 Grande over 20 years ago when I restored it. But with the Repops window felt I have now which is not as thick, I have to move the bracket so much that then there is going to be a gap between glass and felt on the door panel. I moved the bracket top mounting points on the door frame, if I can find a window felt as thick as the originals, I think it is going to work without cutting the bracket and rewelding.

Yes I did replace the felts outside. My originals were trash, it's been a long time but I think I got the felts from Kentucky mustang. Most of the distributors are the same tho I would imagine.