Sign in to follow this  
Johns Summer of 69

Unbearable squeaking coming from the front

So as I begin to actually put some miles on the car, the front has developed a bad squeak coming from the lower control arm. The previous owner had the front end rebuilt. All parts appear to be new. Since the pivot on the lower control arm cannot be lubricated, could it be something like the spring perch? Any thoughts, ideas or solutions?

If the general thought is the spring perch, should I make the upgrade with the needle-bearing version?

The spring perch is attached to the upper control arm.  Those very rarely have any squeak issues.  I've never heard squeaks from the spring perches myself.  Does the lower control arm still have stock rubber type bushings where it attaches to the frame?  If so and you think its coming from the lower control arm, it's possible somebody tightened the pivot bolts at the frame before the car was sitting on the ground under it's own weight at final ride height.  That potentially will tear the rubber bushings loose from either the inner or outer steel sleeve and cause major squeaks.  Try liberally lubing the rubber bushings with a penetrating oil and see if the squeak temporarily stops.

Were the upper control arms replaced?  If not, does it still has the original bushings attaching the control arms to the body.  That is a common source of major squeaks.

If the lower perches are worn and you want to replace them, Scott Drake makes perches using modern material greaseable bushings and have free rotation like a bearing.  They are about $50 each.  On a street car the roller perches are a waste of money, in my opinion.  They are a nice idea but kind of gimmicky.  Also they are modified from cheap imported stock perches.

If by chance somebody installed urethane bushings in the lower control arms, they need to be liberally greased with a synthetic grease or anti-seize compound to prevent squeaking.

If you are not certain of the source of the noise, a stethoscope and somebody else bouncing on the car helps to pinpoint the noise.  https://www.lowes.com/pd/KD-Tools-Automotive-Mechanics-Stethoscope/50164961?cm_mmc=SCE_BINGPLA_ONLY-_-ToolsAndHardware-_-SosHandTools-_-50164961:KD_Tools&CAWELAID=&kpid=50164961&CAGPSPN=pla{ifdyn:dyn}&k_clickID=81301667-5802-4ff2-af87-a38b4ca7cbaf&msclkid=1f486b063b111e12a45e30c2fa2888c6

you can look at the spring perch rubber where the shaft goes thru. if it looks decayed so the shat is no longer centered in the hole, the shaft may be riding directly on the top of the hole in the perch. otherwise, the upper arm inner pivot often squeaks. this can happen even on some brands of replacement arms. a bad upper shock bushing can also squeak.

What Barnett said. My experience from the  by gone days, were the upper control arm shafts drying up. That’s why these cars often got holes torched in the shock towers to install grease fittings there or else the shaft would get tight, then the shock tower stress cracked all to pieces. Putting new parts on is the best way to maintain the mustangs, but money was tougher to get back then I suppose. 

Probably not your issue, but.  I put all new suspension under mine and really started driving it this year.  Every corner, bump I'd get a loud squeak from the driver side.  Thought it was the suspension.  My issue was I either forgot to put in the fender bolt by the door hinge or it fell out.  The fender was rubber the cowl cover.