Shep69

Radiator Overflow Tank

Im thinking about installing a radiator overflow tank on my mustang. As my 69 is an A/C , power steering 351w there isn't a lot of room in the engine bay. Just wondering what others have done and were they mounted the tank. 

Thanks Mark.

59 minutes ago, Cantedvalve said:

So first I used the washer fluid tank as overflow for the radiator.  After that got old, I got a real one and mounted it on core support on the driver side of the radiator.

This is exactly what I did.  Except I used angle brackets and mount the tank with the radiator.  Also on the drivers side.  You can find really nice aluminum ones for not a lot.of money.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01EC4G82I?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

9 minutes ago, MN69Grande said:

This is exactly what I did.  Except I used angle brackets and mount the tank with the radiator.  Also on the drivers side.  You can find really nice aluminum ones for not a lot.of money.

Drivers side core support is out as my AC drier and hoses go through that side . If I remove the washer bottle it’s a possibility. 

Does the overflow tank have to be the same height as the radiator tank for recovery?

3 minutes ago, bigmal said:

This is how mine is fitted

IMG-0471.JPG

IMG-0470.JPG

Thanks Bigmal,

Thats exactly were I have my MSD box mounted lol.  Im thinking about the passenger side but in front of the radiator support between the grill. 

1 minute ago, Shep69 said:

Thanks Bigmal,

Thats exactly were I have my MSD box mounted lol.  Im thinking about the passenger side but in front of the radiator support between the grill. 

Playing message tag. 

Just now, bigmal said:

Hi Shep, It doesn't have to be the same height. I have also seen them fitted forward of the radiator and to the side.

Thanks mate . Yeah looks like its gonna have to be in that spot. 

9 hours ago, fvike said:

If you're ever going to the track or strip, they're pretty much mandated.

Yes but so is the use of straight water with no antifreeze, and because the water boils at a lower temp than a water/anti freeze mix, the possibility of the system spewing water out under racing conditions is greatly increased.

I used a small billet tank on my '70.  I have a slightly bigger Summit Racing plastic tank on my '68.   I agree that it is probably not needed.  I have never drained a drop out of the one on my '68.   But, wanted to have one on my '70 anyway.

IMG_4194.jpg

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 2:29 AM, barnett468 said:

Yes but so is the use of straight water with no antifreeze, and because the water boils at a lower temp than a water/anti freeze mix, the possibility of the system spewing water out under racing conditions is greatly increased.

are you saying straight water is prohibited at the track or the use of antifreeze is prohibited at the track (specifically the dragstrip)?

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 10:38 PM, Shep69 said:

Im thinking about installing a radiator overflow tank on my mustang. As my 69 is an A/C , power steering 351w there isn't a lot of room in the engine bay. Just wondering what others have done and were they mounted the tank. 

Thanks Mark.

I have a stockish style radiator (meaning tanks are at the top and bottom) and run the coolant level to just above the coolant tubes.  So it has the entire top tank for expansion.  So far, under my operating conditions, I have never had any fluid in my overflow.  So consider adjusting your coolant level?  Of course, if you are using a crossflow radiator with the tanks on the side, you really wouldn't have this benefit and a reservoir would be needed.

Actually, cross flow tanks that have the rad cap mounted on them do not automatically require a reservoir and can be run without one in many cases, and air space can be left in them to allow for expansion of the coolant to reduce the potential for overflow.

1 hour ago, barnett468 said:

Actually, cross flow tanks that have the rad cap mounted on them do not automatically require a reservoir and can be run without one in many cases, and air space can be left in them to allow for expansion of the coolant to reduce the potential for overflow.

the expansion volume with the tanks on the sides IS NOWHERE near the volume of a top mounted tank.   sure you can have a very small amount at the very top on both sides and if you lower the fluid level, you then give up cooling fins (and there isn't much volume in those cooling tubes).

...and any response or clarification with regards to antifreeze and the dragstrip?  I want to be sure I understand the rules as I have never had an issue at the four tracks I've been too (nor do they state a rule on the webpages) and I have never found anything in the NHRA general rules and regulations with regards to coolant.

18 hours ago, BuckeyeDemon said:

the expansion volume with the tanks on the sides IS NOWHERE near the volume of a top mounted tank.  

sure you can have a very small amount at the very top on both sides and if you lower the fluid level, you then give up cooling fins (and there isn't much volume in those cooling tubes).

As far as loosing some cooling capability by leaving air space in a horizontal tube rad, it doesn't seem to be all that relevant in my experience if the system is big enough, due to the fact that the horizontal tube rads cool better than a vertical tube one with the same size and number of tubes and same volume etc, but yes, you obviously loose some cooling capability from the fins that are not covered, however, you also loose some cooling capability by leaving air space in any rad simply because the amount of water has been reduced.

Both types of rads cool more efficiently if they are a multi pass design.

I have also run the horizontal tube rads many times with air space and have not had cooling or overflow problems, however, I use systems that cool efficiently for the application. This is not to suggest that everyone should do it this way, but only that it can most certainly be done successfully this way, and is an option for those that do not want to add an overflow bottle to their engine compartment for whatever reason and I have had many customers that didn't.

1969 camaro radiator

s-l1600.jpg

1968 ford 390 radiator

1512082548_a.jpg

21 hours ago, BuckeyeDemon said:

...and any response or clarification with regards to antifreeze and the dragstrip?  I want to be sure I understand the rules as I have never had an issue at the four tracks I've been too (nor do they state a rule on the webpages) and I have never found anything in the NHRA general rules and regulations with regards to coolant.

My comment was a generalized one but pertained more to road race tracks, however, some drag race tracks also prohibit glycol based coolant or have at some point in time, and some racing clubs have banned at least some types of glycol based coolant at some point in time, however, since they can change their rules, it is best for one to verify in advance with both the track and the club they plan to race with at a particular event as to what their rules are. I don't know about the NHRA, but the IHRA prohibits it in at least some classes.

http://www.dragrace.moose.cc/images/rules.pdf

COOLING SYSTEM: Antifreeze/glycol prohibited.

From Topeka drag strip

http://www.heartlandpark.com/dragstrip/racers/rules2.pdf

Bracket Classes at Heartland Park Topeka SUPER PRO(Cars or Bikes)

5.Ethylene Glycol antifreeze is prohibited in all entries. Use of "water wetter" or similar coolant additive with water is allowed.

From Firebird dragstrip under the heading "antifreeze"..

The use of anti-freeze in race cars (14.99-quicker) is strictly prohibited. All other cars are strongly recommended to have the anti-freeze removed to prevent a spill or overflow on the track (please use water only). Do not dump anti-freeze anywhere on Firebird property, except in an enclosed container. During a run, should an inordinate amount of anti-freeze (from leaking radiator, split hose, etc.) end up on the racing surface, it is an automatic end to your racing day. To avoid this, PLEASE RUN WATER in your cooling system!

From the WERA rule book. Their glycol rule has been in effect since at least 2002.

http://www.wera.com/rulebook/Default.asp

CHAPTER EIGHT
TECHNICAL INSPECTION
GENERAL MACHINE REQUIREMENTS

c) Water cooled engines may use plain water, or water with Redline (or similar product, call WERA for verification) cooling system rust and corrosion inhibitor at 0.5 ounces per quart of plain water concentration, Silkolene Pro CCA (Corrosion Control Additive) and Royal Purple Purple Ice are also allowed. Glycol based antifreezes are prohibited.

From the 2018 CRA rulebook. This rule has been in effect since at least 2013.

https://www.cra-mn.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/CRA_Rulebook_2018.pdf

Section 6 – Motorcycle and Technical Inspection Requirements

23) Only water, “Water Wetter” or propylene glycol coolants are allowed in the cooling systems of liquid cooled engines (coolants that are green
in color such as “Sierra” brand propylene glycol antifreeze may not be used.) Riders using ethylene glycol based antifreeze or additives, or any green coolant, are subject to disqualification and suspension.

From the 2016 AMA road racing rule book. I know they had this rule since at least 1984 because I worked in the R and D department at Kawasaki Motors and we had a road race team.

2.4.8.15 Radiator / Oil cooler a. The only liquid engine coolant permitted is water.

From the 2017 CMRA rulebook. They basically adapted the same rules WERA has and even have the same text.

Water cooled engines may use plain water, or water with Redline (or similar product, call CMRA for verification) cooling system rust and corrosion inhibitor. Glycol based antifreezes are prohibited.