Brian Conway

69 Fuel Sender

2 hours ago, Brian Conway said:

Mike I'd certainly welcome a 69 gas gauge.  At the very least I could see how it works and do some bench testing.  Gas gauge for a mach I w/tack is different than the standard dash ?  Let me know what I can do to help this along ?  Thanks, Brian

Indeed it is, at least the cluster housing itself.

If you believe the dash gauge is bad, you can swap your gas gauge with another gauge (oil pressure, water temperature) by swapping wires at the dash cluster connector.  The guts of the gauges themselves are identical.  Of course, the ammeter gauge is a completely different animal and uses non-fused battery powered lines. 

23 hours ago, Brian Conway said:

Mike I'd certainly welcome a 69 gas gauge.  At the very least I could see how it works and do some bench testing.  Gas gauge for a mach I w/tack is different than the standard dash ?  Let me know what I can do to help this along ?  Thanks, Brian

69 Gauge 38 ohms 1-20-19.JPG

Brian,  let me look around the garage tomorrow & see if I can find it. The gas gauge is from a standard cluster that was in my Coupe. I will let you know tomorrow if I can find it. 

Been running some numbers on mileage and as a side benefit checking on the Gauge readings.  20 gallon tank and the gauge reads just below 1/4.  13 gals to fill.  Next fill; gauge reads below 1/4 and takes 12 gals to fill.  Next fill; gauge reads 1/2.  Takes 10 gals to fill.    Getting about 6-8 MPG.  Brian

OK got some new info and the results are ... it's the dash gauge and Rocketman is the recommended vendor for recalibration. I did put the Spectra FG 86B in the car Oct. 10, 2019  at 20,280 miles.  Kept a record of gas fill ups, ohm readings and mileage.  End result was with the gas gauge needle dead on E I got a 65 ohm reading. I still had about 5 gallons of gas in the tank.  Bill Basore at Desert Classic Parts refurbished my C9WE-9275-A Sender.  I installed it yesterday, at 22,325 miles, with much the same results.  With an empty tank and the needle below  E  I got a 66 ohm reading.  With 3 gallons in the tank I got a 53 ohm reading and with 20 gallons, at $6.70 a gallon, I got a 10 ohm reading.  I called Basore, relayed my findings and he confirmed the dash gauge was the problem. Basore took a bit more time to explain the why and how but that's the short story.   When I pulled the Spectra unit the float had an eyedropper of gas in it.  Other than that the Spectra sender did a good job.  Because I am not taking my dash apart to get the gauge out, right away, I will live with Empty means 3 gallons of gas in the tank.  Close enough.  Brian