Brian Conway

69 Fuel Sender

Anyone purchased a fuel sending unit that you are satisfied with ?  I am in need of a new unit and would like to hear about a fuel sender w/part number and vendor ?  Sender for a 1969 20 gallon tank without warning light.  Thanks, Brian

I purchased two Scott Drake fuel senders and they were both garbage, didn't work.  Then I purchased a Spectra brand fuel sending unit through Summit.  It doesn't look original, but works perfectly.  Dorman also make one, but not many places stock it.

On 10/11/2018 at 5:37 PM, Brian Conway said:

OK.   Spectra Premium FG86B.  Thank you for the information.  The part number is a great help.  Now to order, install and hopefully get the same out come.  Brian

Brian, did this Spectra fuel sender work for you?     Dave R.

On 10/11/2018 at 2:37 PM, Brian Conway said:

OK.   Spectra Premium FG86B.  Thank you for the information.  The part number is a great help.  Now to order, install and hopefully get the same out come.  Brian

ok, summit wants $50.00 plus shipping. Amazon is $42.00 with free shipping. Rock Auto may also have it for even less.

I suggest you throw that plastic pos float away and put an original style brass one on it if you plan to keep the car.

No I have not installed the Spectra so can't provide a performance report.  I did buy it, FG 86B,  but got side tracked with possibly a rebuilder, Bill @ Desert Classics, for my original C9WF-F.  Having the trans in my 65 rebuilt and so on.  Sorry Brian

I have had two new aftermarket brass floats fill with fuel. I have heard it is to do with the Australian unleaded fuel but have nothing to confirm this. I know of others who have had the same issue. Next time the float sinks I will try a plastic one.

2 hours ago, bigmal said:

I have had two new aftermarket brass floats fill with fuel. I have heard it is to do with the Australian unleaded fuel but have nothing to confirm this. I know of others who have had the same issue. Next time the float sinks I will try a plastic one.

what brand was the brass float?

I installed two SPI units in my 69 fastback and both failed with sunken plastic floats.

Then i went to scott drake..they sell two different ones..the cheapie and a stainless steel one. I bought the stainless steel unit several years back and it has been fine.

John

I recently bought an ACP FM-EF002, I would guess from National Parts depot.  I hooked it up electrically before installing in the tank and with it the gauge would not cover the entire range from E to F.  I had to bend the high and low stops on it, and I got it to register the entire range.  I changed the floats ( as described below) and am now testing it to verify it reads F when the tank has 20 gallons, and will check it just above E to see how much it takes to fill the tank. 

This one came with a brass float, and I have had 2 of those brass floats fail. My other car (99 Contour) has a type of plastic material with no air inside, so I am trying that.  I doubled them up and wired them to my Mustang arm.  I know the float worked for 20 years in my other car, so I would guess another 20 will not be a problem. pictures below.

I got the floats free from a local self serve junk jard. 

Make sure to test yours dry, outside the tank with a ground wire and a signal wire to connect it to the car.  That way you can easily verify it will register the full range on the gauge. 

fuel float 4 .JPG

FUEL float 1.JPG

Sorry to be so late weighing in on this - I'm just getting to the storage unit to look at the box that the unit came in.  I used a unit manufactured by All Classic Parts (ACP) and sold by Mustangs Unlimited which has worked well going on 5 years now.  The part number is FM-EF002SS.  They also supply brass floats  - FM-EF005B.  Unfortunately it looks like Mustangs Unlimited no longer carries the item but ACP has numerous dealers that can probably get it.  Closest to me are Classic Mustang of Houston and John's Mustang Parts and Accessories.

36 minutes ago, Pizzeck said:

Sorry to be so late weighing in on this - I'm just getting to the storage unit to look at the box that the unit came in.  I used a unit manufactured by All Classic Parts (ACP) and sold by Mustangs Unlimited which has worked well going on 5 years now.  The part number is FM-EF002SS.  They also supply brass floats  - FM-EF005B.  Unfortunately it looks like Mustangs Unlimited no longer carries the item but ACP has numerous dealers that can probably get it.  Closest to me are Classic Mustang of Houston and John's Mustang Parts and Accessories.

Thanks anyway. I have recently found two used original Ford units and had them rebuilt. I have not installed one yet and I have placed the other one in the parts for sale section of this and 2 other forums.   Dave R.

19 hours ago, Dave R. said:

Thanks anyway. I have recently found two used original Ford units and had them rebuilt. I have not installed one yet and I have placed the other one in the parts for sale section of this and 2 other forums.   Dave R.

who rebuilt them?

Installed the Spectra FG86B in my 20 gallon, non warning light, 69 Mach 1 on Oct. 10, 2019.  Been keeping track of gas gauge and ohm readings.    Anyway some numbers:  dash gauge reads Full and both sending units are sending between 9 and 11 ohms.  Dash gauge reads 1/2 and both sending units are sending about 22 ohms.  Dash gauge reads 1/4 and the Spectra is sending 31 ohms and the C9WF-A is sending 26-38 ohms.  Dash gauge reads Empty and the Spectra is sending 46 ohms.  The OE sender C9WF-A  is sending between 52 and 59 ohms.  The expected ohm range should be Full=10 and Empty=73 pg. 15-03-03 Shop Manual.  FWIW the 46 ohm= 4.5 gals in the tank and the 53-59 ohm readings had 3.5 gals in the tank.  Brian

Mike I'd certainly welcome a 69 gas gauge.  At the very least I could see how it works and do some bench testing.  Gas gauge for a mach I w/tack is different than the standard dash ?  Let me know what I can do to help this along ?  Thanks, Brian

69 Gauge 38 ohms 1-20-19.JPG