newstang

K&N oil filter issue

So let me say I'm not impressed with K&N. I was under the impression that these are racing oil filters. 

A month ago I started the Mustang and I head a loud squeal and noticed I dumped a ton of oil in the driveway.

So I pulled off the filter and noticed that big thick o-ring blew out. I put another on thinking maybe I just didn't tighten it well.

Yesterday I start the car to bring it home and hear that noise again. this time I made it to the street and turned right back.

10 quarts of oil gone and a slick across the lot and street. Zero oil pressure.

This is what it looks like from under the car, I called them and of course " They never had this happen to anyone else"  So it must just be me.

1051809682_IMG_02072.thumb.jpg.c568450ce8b59870b20af7b21e43902a.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0210.jpg

IMG_0212.jpg

I don't know that I'd run a "racing" oil filter on a street car.  Yes, they hold more pressure.  But, every time I've looked at the Wix Racing oil filters and air filters for that matter, they flow more, but do not filter near as well.  I've always used Wix filters and never had any issues.  Have you simply tried something like a Wix filter?  Motorcraft filters are fairly good as well.  Although not quite as good as Wix

Just now, 1969_Mach1 said:

I don't know that I'd run a "racing" oil filter on a street car.  Yes, they hold more pressure.  But, every time I've looked at the Wix Racing oil filters and air filters for that matter, they flow more, but do not filter near as well.  I've always used Wix filters and never had any issues.  Have you simply tried something like a Wix filter?  Motorcraft filters are fairly good as well.  Although not quite as good as Wix

Funny you should say that. 

That is exactly what I did, I put in a WIX, I also noticed that the gasket  (o-ring) is not as tall as the KN, I hope that the shallower seal will prevent it from forcing outward and happening again. Till this, I have never seen this before.

10 hours ago, barnett468 said:

what is your oil pressure?

your bypass valve in your oil pump could be stuck but that is only usually a problem on melling oil pumps for cleveland engines but they can stick on any aftermarket pump unless it has ben blueprinted.

i just ordered a mechanical oil pres. gauge, 0-300 . mine only goes to 90 . ill know more in a few days.

This is a melling pump, its on a 4.6 cobra which is crank driven. 

8 hours ago, newstang said:

i just ordered a mechanical oil pres. gauge, 0-300 . mine only goes to 90 . ill know more in a few days.

This is a melling pump, its on a 4.6 cobra which is crank driven. 

was the oil pressure going to 90 during start up?

is your sender before the filter?

20 hours ago, RPM said:

Should not 90 be enough?

not really, this moduler engines put out over 100 on startup.

I think I have it figured out. the K&N has a few things I think may be the problem, the oil inlet holes are small, it has an anti-drain back which is a restriction and is not needed on my application.  I used bluing to mark where the gasket hits the filter mount, looks perfect.

I put on a smaller diameter o-ring filter and the inlet holes are much bigger, this should make it much more difficult to push out vs. the larger o-ring. I noticed the EE I get on startup due to high pressure is gone. It goes directly to a pressure reading on my dakota digital.  I used bluing to mark where the gasket hits the filter mount, looks perfect. Keeping my fingers crossed.

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

1 hour ago, cavboy78 said:

same issues cropped up in the jeep tj world. lots of blowouts and issues with the k&n filters. Only use wix on the jeep and motorcraft on my mustangs.

been running the WIX since. All seems fine ( keep fingers crossed) But I think it will be fine. K&N didn't even bother to reply to my calls or emails. Time to tell the world about K&N