1969_Mach1

Aluminum Thermostat Housing

I'm trying to find a new aluminum thermostat housing for a 351W.  In the past I purchased them from my local Ford dealer for early to mid 1990's F150's so the quality was great.  I recently purchased a Dorman brand housing because the picture was identical to the Ford OEM aluminum housings.  I received something completely different and marginal quality.  The fitting for the bypass hose is too short for a hose clamp to fit.  Anybody know of OEM style and quality aluminum thermostat housing's for small block Ford motors?

Thanks

The Dorman housing shows a picture identical to a Ford OEM part but I keep getting something different.  I ordered the Scott Drake thermostat housing from Summit.  Should have it tomorrow.  I've seen both aluminum and zinc listed for the Scott Drake housing.  Is it aluminum, I'm hoping so?  I cannot see zinc lasting very long.  Zinc is used for sacrificial anodes on boats, ships, etc. 

Happy to hear it's aluminum and not zinc.  Sometimes the descriptions are not right.  I started using the ultra gray instead of ultra black for end seals the last time I installed an aluminum intake manifold.  I like it much better than the ultra black.

I got the Scott Drake housing.  It's not made to work with a 351W.  The 351W uses a larger diameter bypass hose at the thermostat housing end.  Plus, even though it has a nice finish, it's very poorly designed compared to OEM.  I can easily return it so no big loss.

Just another option to offer.....I used a late model 5.0 style thermostat housing on my 351W that has a temperature port in it. I needed this for one of my temperature sensors (I have 3).  This requires a custom upper hose, as the 5.0 style is a 90 degree housing.  But, the overall look is good, and very functional.  You can see it in the picture I have attached.  Don't buy the o-ring ones, or the cheap Chinese imitations...they leak....

I have an original 1969 vintage housing, but it is pretty pitted, original condition...  IM if you are interested.

IMG_4177.jpg

Thanks for the idea.  For now I installed the Dorman aluminum thermostat housing.  The bypass hose fitting is a little short.  After searching for an appropriate clamp I ended up with one of Comp Cams Gator grand hose clamps.  It just fits and it has rolled outer edges so it won't cut into the hose.

I like your valve covers.  I keep looking at them to replace my Scott Drake brand valve covers + spacer setup.  I like the look of the Scott Drake valve covers but I cannot find a good rigid or steel core gasket to fit them.  Right now I have stock Fel-Pro rubber gaskets glued to the valve covers with Gaskacinch.  It seems to work but I don't like gluing gaskets to hold them in place.  Do you know if your valve covers can be installed and removed with the shock tower braces installed?

I haven’t tried to take the valve covers off yet but my strut tower braces come off with one bolt as you can see they are tubular, got them from street or track 

I use the late-model 5.0 blue rubber valve cover gasket’s. You can remove the valve cover and replace it many times without having to tear the gasket up.

I have also tried those new thermal hose clamps that are sold by gates. They’re kind of like heat shrink for hoses, and you install them and then use a heat gun to seal up the joint. I ran them on my engine test stand and they did not leak   

Yeah, I've got the OEM style rubber bonded steel core gaskets.  Also, the steel core replacement type from Fel-Pro and a set of Moroso steel core silicone gaskets.  They are all a little too large to fit the Scott Drake valve covers.  The only type that fits Scott Drake valve covers are stock cork or stock rubber type without a steel core.  My last try is I ordered Cometic valve cover gaskets.  Not their steel core type but their Aramid Fiber type.  From the description they look rigid and might fit.  Those will be my last try.  If they don't work I am trashing the Scott Drake valve covers.