Sign in to follow this  
MAC390

Flexplates

Changed my factory 428 cobra jet flex plate to a new  pioneer 224 flex plate, now i have a noise from the trans and the flex plate has run out.

Really shitted off now , what is the best brand to use as the pioneer one is the only one i can get down here easily.

I too found that all flex plates are not created equal, or made to the same specs as the oem. Measure, measure, measure. I feel your pain brother. 

Mine only cost me $500 in repairs and parts to the motor, and well, ya know, the AOD. Then rebuilding the AOD. $$$$$

16 hours ago, MAC390 said:

Changed my factory 428 cobra jet flex plate to a new  pioneer 224 flex plate, now i have a noise from the trans and the flex plate has run out.

Really shitted off now , what is the best brand to use as the pioneer one is the only one i can get down here easily.

I have just had my C4 Auto rebuilt. My torque converter spout also had a deep groove in it. I thought this was were the seal ran but the auto guy said to check the runout in the flex plate also. He said that you shouldn't have any more than a couple of mm otherwise this can cause issues.

The guy that rebuilt my auto only does old ford stuff Mac. If you want to have a chat with him pm me and i will give you his number. He may be able to help you and he's also a MOCA member.

Mark.

Auto trans flex plates are thin stamped sheet metal parts.  I would expect them to have axial runout and then the very rigid torque converter shell would straighten it up as it's bolted together.  Is everybody here referring to radial runout as the problem?  I could see that causing issues.

Thanks guys for the help, just got out from under the car and i think i have seen the problem.

I have a stall converter on the C6 , don' t know who made it, any way i can see the converter mounting studs are not standing perpendicular , they look like the stud is coming through the plate at an angle. They are probably distorting the flex plate. So out comes the trans again but this time i will remove the rhs header after i jack the engine up and remove the rh engine mount and brackets and drop the drag link and idler arm. Then unbolt the trans on a jack and twist trans to the right and let it down. Sounds easy, but a right PITA. so over all this shit. 

If the experts at the trans shop did not screw up the front pump seal i would not have to deal with this. I did my apprenticeship in a Ford dealership and i used to do all of the auto trans.

Sorry about the rant but i am really pissed at the moment and ford power train headers are looking good and i am old cranky man lol

Can't remember if you ever mentioned of you have a transmission jack, but after I R&I'd mine about 10 times, I bought a trans jack. Best $90 I ever spent. Well other than that one time in Vegas.

4 hours ago, MAC390 said:

i can see the converter mounting studs are not standing perpendicular , they look like the stud is coming through the plate at an angle.

If this is caused by the converter drain plug hitting the flex plate you might be able to just remove the converter bolts then gently pry the converter rearward until it stops which should be around 1/2", then loosen the trans and slide it back around " then pry the converter back again to make sure it is still all the way rearward then rotate the engine until the drain bolt lines up with the drain bolt access hole in the flex plate, then reassemble.

4 hours ago, MAC390 said:

I think the flex plate has no drain holes , and the plate being externally balanced would it be possible to drill 2 drain holes and not effect the balance of the plate.

you would need to drill in the center of the weight and 180 degrees opposite of that.

did you look to see if the drain plug is hitting yet?

Ok trans is out, i am getting quick at this.

Found one of the converter mounting tabs was fouling on the balance weight which distorted the flex plate  and  caused rubbing on the block spacer plate.

When i compare the factory flex plate against the aftermarket one sure is a difference.No holes for the drain plugs.

Get a new flex plate and start again

When I had my flex plate issues, I asked the machine shop and they said they could balance a new flex plate to my old one which was balanced to my rotating assembly. 

Good luck brother. 

Well, it's back together and i have fired it up.

Got another flex plate same brand and part no but it was different, after truing up the converter mounts and fitting it, it works.

This aftermarket flex plate is a pos compared to the original'

Going for a run later in the week, fingers crossed.