mustangstofear

69-70 Hood catch

50 minutes ago, Rsanter said:

I guess they didn’t have a big enough press to do it the way the factory did

Where I used to work, we would make "Lam Dies" for things like this....    Basically design the part, then subtract the part in cad from a rectangular block.  In cad, create a parting line to seperate the top and bottom of the block, and then cut that block into 0.250" slices.  Then we would laser cut the pieces and combine then into a Laminated Die.  Weld the lam die together and fixture it into a hydraulic press. A 100 ton press should work well for this part.  Heat the mild steel blank to red hot and then place it into the lam die and quickly form your part.  Quickly quench the part to provide some surface hardness ( or later have the parts Carburized for hardening).   We used to use induction heating coils to heat  mild steel rod to red hot in a matter of 2 or 3 seconds.   This way parts could be produced easily with very little tooling costs and very little labor costs....

On 1/14/2019 at 12:37 PM, mustangstofear said:

On 1/14/2019 at 12:37 PM, mustangstofear said:

Your  eyes  must be getting  as bad as mine LOL

Or worse. In my defense, at the time I couldn't get the pic to enlarge on my phone.