Sign in to follow this  
EastYorkStang

Rattling windows that go down too far

My passenger side window goes down just below the weatherstripping and gets jammed underneath. Have to remove the top door panel to fix it every time. 

Just looked and made sure the rubber bumper that stops it when it reaches the bottom is there. It is. Any other suggestions ?

What can be done to stop my windows from rattling as well ?

The bottom center down stop is not adjustable, and the only stop for lowering the glass. Has it compressed or shrunk? Glass up and down stop adjustment is at around 34:00.

6 hours ago, EastYorkStang said:

My passenger side window goes down just below the weatherstripping and gets jammed underneath. Have to remove the top door panel to fix it every time. 

Just looked and made sure the rubber bumper that stops it when it reaches the bottom is there. It is. Any other suggestions ?

Yes i made up some stops made from pvc pipe and put a slice down the side.  Placed them over the steel vertical guides so the windows stopped just before the weatherstripping. this also helps to eliminate the glue on brackets being forced off the glass. Works a treat. 

15 minutes ago, EastYorkStang said:

What glue on brackets are you talking about ? My glass hits the rubber directly. 

Shep is referring to a common upgrade that many people do - put short pieces of pipe around the bottom of the tubular tracks.When the window goes down, the metal brackets hit the pipes and travel stops. The pipe meets the brackets, not the glass, which doesn't stress the glue joint.

The factory design (seen in the picture above, directly above and below the PLAY icon) has a metal piece glued to the bottom of the glass which hits the rubber bumper bolted to the curved piece welded to the door. The flaw of this design is that torque on the window crank stresses the glue joint, working to separate it.

8 minutes ago, EastYorkStang said:

What glue on brackets are you talking about ? My glass hits the rubber directly. 

69s had the front and rear brackets that glued on and the 70s had bolt on brackets. 

If you wind the window down all the way on a 69 the Center of the glass hits the rubber stopper . You can still put pressure on the brackets if you try and force the winder mechanism further.

The best fix was to place the two pieces of pipe over the steel vertical guides.

Bolt in glass?  I would think it is getting jammed around the crank arms.  If you pull the rails in too far then the arms will get hung up on the stop for the spring.  If you have rattling then you've got something either broken or loose.

david

2 hours ago, EastYorkStang said:

I'm guessing you didn't watch the video. It's pretty much a must watch.

19 hours ago, EastYorkStang said:

If your windows is rattling as mentioned something may be broken or loose. what usually happens is the plastic pieces on the guide is worn out. If you or someone has replaced the rubber bumper there are some reproductions that are smaller than the originals . I ordered some from a distributor that were about half the size that they should be and allowed the window to go down farther than it should .