Sign in to follow this  
Flash69

Parking light questions

Hello everyone,

I am having a few problems with my 1969 Coupe that were caused by the PO. 

My RH parking light has two issues.

1. One of the bolts which hold the parking light to the bumper was broken off before I got the car. Is it possible to replace the square insert that the bolt threads into? If so, does anyone have a link to a how to or advice?

2. Can I repair (would prefer to stay original) or replace the bulb socket? It keeps spinning when I try to insert my bulb. I have pushed on the two leads and they spring down so it appears the wires and contacts are free to move up and down. 

3. Is it worth it to strip and re-plate the metal housing with zinc and yellow dichromate? 

4. If none of the above are possible, should I just order a repro assembly? I was reading the descriptions on NPD and the "best repro" says it uses metric threads. 

Thank you! 

1 hour ago, Flash69 said:

Hello everyone,

I am having a few problems with my 1969 Coupe that were caused by the PO. 

My RH parking light has two issues.

1. One of the bolts which hold the parking light to the bumper was broken off before I got the car. Is it possible to replace the square insert that the bolt threads into? If so, does anyone have a link to a how to or advice?

2. Can I repair (would prefer to stay original) or replace the bulb socket? It keeps spinning when I try to insert my bulb. I have pushed on the two leads and they spring down so it appears the wires and contacts are free to move up and down. 

3. Is it worth it to strip and re-plate the metal housing with zinc and yellow dichromate? 

4. If none of the above are possible, should I just order a repro assembly? I was reading the descriptions on NPD and the "best repro" says it uses metric threads. 

Thank you! 

1. Piece of cake. The square insert can be replaced with a stove nut if stock appearance is desired or any nut of appropriate size. Both can be tacked in place.

2. haven't looked at mine in a long time but I believe it uses an 1157 bulb? If so the pins on the bulb and the slots on the socket are offset so the bulb only goes in one way. If the bulb is spinning in the socket then , assuming the bulb is correct and ok, the socket may be deformed. The socket is crimped on, I think, and would be difficult to replace. I have spare sockets (generic 1157 type) that have prongs on the edge to snap into a hole. Don't know if something like that would work.

3.I've heard of people sandblasting and spraying with some type of Eastwood product.

4. Your call.

Thank you, Roger.

My bulb is fine, actually I'm replacing the bulb with an LED light. The type you install with a screw driver and twist in place but the socket just twists and does not lock in place. I really wanted to rebuild both factory housings however that might not be possible. 

They can definitely be restored. It all depends on how much time, effort, and money you wish to invest. The repops are the cheaper route but they are not concours correct. Your call.

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=12396.msg75405#msg75405

Also be aware that if you go LED, they may not draw enough current to make the flasher work and they won't blink. You may need a replacement flasher made for LEDs.

I'm not building a concours car so I don't need that level. Thank you for the link.

I also purchased LED flashers so I have that covered as well. 

I was hoping to repair/refurbish these myself but it might not be worth it.