Sign in to follow this  
Cantedvalve

headlight and rock shield trim on 1970

I have the metal trim that goes around the headlights and along the rock guard.  What is it made of?  I don't think it is steel... is it aluminum?  The finish on mine is rough... not terrible, but rough.  I am trying to figure out how to clean it up.  Is it plated?

Meh... not sure I want to go that far.  I could polish it out, but then it is left to the elements.  I'll just clean it up nice and repaint the argent areas.  I am thinking about going a bit darker than the original... which means I have light bezels I need to do all the way around the car.

The headlight trim is soft aluminum that is anodized. I took it to a shop that does anodizing and they tried to strip it an said they couldn't (the acid did not remove the original coating). I took some fine wet and dry sandpaper and literally sanded off the original coating and polished it back to a high luster and then clearcoated it with the same material that I put on the car. The aluminum is a soft aluminum and polishes out easily.

I decided to leave the polished parts as-is for now.  I did mask off and paint the painted portions though. It's darker than original, but I love it.  The headlamp doors and two bucket trim pieces are done too and baking in the sun.

IMG_0047.JPG