Sign in to follow this  
69 red fastback

painting stripes

I'm wanting to paint stripes on an old truck that I have, my question is how long do I wait to pull the tape off and then how long should I wait to mask off the stripes to paint the rest of the truck.

I forgot to mention that it is basecoat, clearcoat.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

This is how I do it, lay down the stripe colour and then cover with two coats of clear, let it flash off for a couple of days and then flatten with 800 grit, mask off your stripes with 3M fine line tape and spray the base colour, short flash off time and then remove tape and clear coat the entire car. Let it dry and degas for a week to 10 days and if you want you can flatten again and apply two more coats of clear. Just make sure that you clean the panels thoroughly and wipe down with wax and grease remover before painting

Unilec,

So are you saying that you don't mask off for the sripes to start with, you just lay down the paint where the stripes are going to be? And also what is the reason for the 2 coats of clear on the stripes? The reason I'm asking is I don't know much about paint and body work.

Thanks again

So I have always found it best to lay down the stripe colour first, you need a couple of clear coats on top because you need to flatten the paint with 800 wet grit, because you need a smooth flat surface to lay the tape on, this is to avoid paint bleed under the tape, one thing you don't want to do is go through to the base colour, that means you will need to start again. You also need to buy your paint from the same supplier and not mix and match base or clear. Some need to lay down an etch primer first some have a DTM (direct to metal) 2 pack primer, I would suggest using a 2 pack high fill primer over the entire car to start with, I also like to apply filler to bare metal, some like to lay filler on top of primer. Go to this web site, their paint is good quality and a good price, you can also join up if you need advice from professional painters.

https://www.autobody101.com/forums/

Just thought I would add additional info to your question, one thing you never do is sand base coat, especially metallic, but even base colours as it can change the colour or cause patches and any scratches will be seen though the clear coat, you can however lightly remove nibs in the base and use a tack rag. That's why I clear coat over base before sanding.

Hope this makes sense.

11 hours ago, unilec said:

Just thought I would add additional info to your question, one thing you never do is sand base coat, especially metallic, but even base colours as it can change the colour or cause patches and any scratches will be seen though the clear coat, you can however lightly remove nibs in the base and use a tack rag. That's why I clear coat over base before sanding.

Hope this makes sense.

Great tips.