The PNW

Engine ideas other than Coyote

I just picked up and 1969 Fastback , it pretty much needs everything, I would love to do a Coyote, however i would like good ideas that I don't have to mod the engine bay. I want to build a nice driver extreme power is not needed, just a fun driver with mild power. Thanks!

do you not want to build an old school engine?

a 351 windsor with minor upgrades and some decent rear gears will run plenty strong and it will be blazing fast with a supercharger and around 9 lbs of boost

a lightening engine with a computer program upgrade will be very fast but might be very hard to find near you.

here's a few

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=used+ford+lightening+engine&_sacat=0

23 hours ago, The PNW said:

On a 5.4 lightning engine, would that require a engine bay mod?  I am considering a windsor or a older 302. I do like the idea of a modern engine.

I don't think there is any engine bay mod necessary providing the blower clears the hood. If it doesn't you could get a cowl hood or use a novi supercharger.

all it is is a 351 with a blower and the lightening engine itself isn't modern. you could build one out of an old block.

10 hours ago, The PNW said:

Ok, that sounds good, I guess I was under the impression that the newer lighting trucks(01 & Up) were the large modular engines and the 93' version was a 351 Windsor block. Thanks for the info.

oops, well, i think you are right . i could have sworn they early ones were the old school style. looks like that idea won't work.

novi supercharger or twin screw blower with a cowl hood for clearance but a mildly built 351 might be all you need.

15 hours ago, The PNW said:

Although the 7.3 is an excellent engine, I don't think that is what I was going for...

Yea, but you would be the only one who ever did it. 

problem is i doubt it would fit even with the towers out. 

1 hour ago, newstang said:

Yea, but you would be the only one who ever did it. 

problem is i doubt it would fit even with the towers out. 

1. yes, and there would be a reason for that, lol.

2. it will definitely fit if it is dropped in from around 6 feet above the car, lol.

I wasn't going to comment on this thread because I haven't researched it enough, but for fun I'll just throw this out there.  Edelbrock had/has a BOSS 302 line up with heads and intake modeled on the originals.  I always wondered if paired with the correct cam and a new Ford Performance Boss 347 short block, if you couldn't have an interesting combination.  I'd probably move up to a 6speed rather than the old style 4.  Add track lock I bet that would be a lot of fun. You can get the oil cooler, remote sending unit bracket, battery relocation kit, and most the other parts fairly easy to clone the engine bay like a boss.  Anyway it would be different.  I at least haven't seen it done out there yet.

Of course this isn't a cheap option:

https://www.jegs.com/i/Ford-Performance/397/M-6009-347/10002/-1

https://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/61699/10002/-1

https://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/7129/10002/-1

On 9/15/2018 at 6:39 PM, The PNW said:

I just picked up and 1969 Fastback , it pretty much needs everything, I would love to do a Coyote, however i would like good ideas that I don't have to mod the engine bay. I want to build a nice driver extreme power is not needed, just a fun driver with mild power. Thanks!

You're pretty much describing the stock M code engine that came in many Mach 1's. The factory hp rating was 290, which seriously ain't that bad. Sometimes less is more. 

9 hours ago, mustangstofear said:

Hard to beat the Coyote,  435 HP and 25 MPG :)

I agree, despite what others say about making a pushrod engine do the same horse, it cant make the reves or the fuel efficiency with that HP.

17 hours ago, mustangstofear said:

Hard to beat the Coyote,  435 HP and 25 MPG :)

True, but I keep thinking about the title of this thread...

You guys in the USA are spoiled for choice and end up paralysed by the numbered options you need to consider

No mods to engine bay easy to start fun to drive that’s easy - Open the FPP catalogue and order in anything with a mild/medium roller cam that matches your budget and put a throttle body fuel injection on.   400hp+ in a 50 year old chassis will be very lively and much more interactive than the same power in a modern chassis with all the electronic aids   

‘Put a 4r70w behind it and you will have a sweet cruiser.  Put a TKO600 in and you have a track car. 

10 hours ago, Hux said:

You guys in the USA are spoiled for choice and end up paralysed by the numbered options you need to consider

No mods to engine bay easy to start fun to drive that’s easy - Open the FPP catalogue and order in anything with a mild/medium roller cam that matches your budget and put a throttle body fuel injection on.   400hp+ in a 50 year old chassis will be very lively and much more interactive than the same power in a modern chassis with all the electronic aids   

‘Put a 4r70w behind it and you will have a sweet cruiser.  Put a TKO600 in and you have a track car. 

this may be true now, but I remember a time You guys had the cool Fords we couldn't touch ( mad max car) 

I guess your right, sever mods required for a modular, go git yaself  a nice ecoboost instead :-)

12 hours ago, mustangstofear said:

I was the one who started this thread.. didn’t get a lot of answers, so I found a wrecked mustang with a Coyote set up, so here goes nothing!

19 hours ago, RPM said:

True, but I keep thinking about the title of this thread...

9 hours ago, mustangstofear said:

Now you're  talking.  We just started a thread over on VMF under the vendor section. We  will show you how much faster  and cheaper it with our system.  No modification needed to the firewall or tunnel even with the T56 tranny . Plus we  make everything else for the swap.

Got a link for that?