1969Fstback

Burning oil

how much oil is it using?

does the engine smoke a lot?

it could be sucking it up from the pcv valve.

remove the valve and look inside the hole in the valve cover. there should be a steel baffle/shroud that blocks oil from being splattered directly on the pcv valve. if there is no baffle, you can plug the valve by putting a few layers over the hole in the bottom then reinstalling it into the valve cover then drive it for a 100 miles or so and see if it uses less oil.

also, with the valve plugged, remove the oil filler cap then shield the opening in the valve cover from the air from the fan with a piece of cardboard then rev the engine a few times and see of blue smoke comes out the oil filler hole. if much does, your engine is probably worn out.

It does have baffle for the pcv valve in the valve cover.  I pulled the pcv and the hose off.  I have a T in middle of hose to carb as a connector with the leg blocked.  The T is white and it was coated with oil on the inside.  I had it in between the full and add line Thursday.  I put arox. 150 miles on it and it was below the add line a little when I checked it this evening.  So in 150 mIles it burn at least a qrt.  It doesn't really seem to smoke much.  But you can smell the oil in the exhaust.   

One of the clues to a leaking intake manifold is ' you can smell oil in the exhaust '.  Depending on how much the ' 1 qt. per 150 miles ' bothers you... You may not want to start down this road ?  If the oil is not on the ground ?  Then it is going through the engine somehow and will show up on the plugs or in the exhaust.  If the car runs fine and you don't do a lot of regular commuting I would wait until one of the clues becomes more definite.  Not for everyone.   Brian

Have you looked at the spark plugs yet?  At 150 miles per quart I'd think oil fouling one or more spark plugs would start occurring. You might also have a light oily film in the exhaust and anything the exhaust gases hit under the car.

What type of oil are you using?  What are the engine temps?  The only reason I ask these questions is because with cheap oils like the basic Valvoline and Castrol motor oils, the additives will burn off fairly fast at high engine temps and it will show up on the dipstick as oil consumption.  Also, wider viscosity range oils have more additives and hence, more additives to burn off and more oil consumption.

Cylinder leak down test will determine how good the rings are sealing.  Leaking valve seals most often show up as a puff of blue smoke when you first start the engine. 

Castrol straight 40W or 10W-40?  I haven't seen straight 40W in my local parts stores, not saying it doesn't exist.  I haven't seen 185 degree thermostats.  In that range it's either 180 degree or 195 degree (Motorcraft has a 192 degree thermostat).  If it creeps up to 200 and that is accurate, it's probably a 180 degree thermostat.  If it's truly burning that much oil some or all of the spark plugs should look terrible when you pull them.

Are you certain some or all of it isn't leaking and burning on the exhaust manifolds or exhaust pipes?  That would explain the smell.

It's 10w 40.  I was thinking it was 185 but very well could be 180.  My temp gauge has 160 and 190 numbered with hash mark at 175 it holds closer to the 190 hash then 175.  The temp could be a little over 200 in traffic, bUT don't remember it ever reaching the 205 hash mark.

I was under the car recently.  It was a little wet near rear main, but I didn't see any blow back of oil underneath and I've never seen a puddle or anything left after it sits and runs.  And never any on the garage floor.  But, I plan on checking again since I've been driving it a lot over past 2 months.  

I agree, I am guessing when I pull plugs a few will look very black.  I changed them about 2 months ago after i put a new carb on.