Sign in to follow this  
69 red fastback

C-4 transmission

I know it's not a 69-70, but a buddy of mine is having trouble with his C-4 in his 65 coupe. He had it rebuilt, installed it and when he started the car it sounds kind of like a grinding noise, or metal on metal noise coming from the tranny, any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

ralt962,Thanks for the link.

EastYorkStang, it is after it is running, I got to listen to it today and it has kind of a tin sound. I'm thinking what unilec stated above is right and the torque converter wasn't seated. So I helped him pull it out today and he is going to take it back to his tranny guy and have him check it out.

Thanks for the responses

16 hours ago, 69 red fastback said:

EastYorkStang, it is after it is running, I got to listen to it today and it has kind of a tin sound. I'm thinking what unilec stated above is right and the torque converter wasn't seated. So I helped him pull it out today and he is going to take it back to his tranny guy and have him check it out.

You could have simply loosened the nuts on the converter then gently tried to pry it back from the flexplate around 1/4". if you could pry it back, it was definitely properly seated.

I have no idea what it is and have very little auto trans experience.  But, in my experiences, if the torque convertor is not seated, it will be wedged into the flex plate when installing the trans.  If you had to slide the torque convertor a little up to the flex plate to install the bolts, it was more than likely seated correctly.  Use barnett's method to check the torque convertor for being properly seated.

I have had a starter that would not disengage after the motor started.  It sounded normal and fine while cranking.  But while the engine was running it made a horrible tinny type of rattle noise.  Cracked flex plates also make a horrible tinny noise.

Thanks for the replies,

barnett, I don't know much about tanny's but I sure wish I would have know that before we pulled it out, that might have saved a lot of trouble.

1969_mach1, he is going to take the flex plate off and check it and also check the starter.

Thanks again for the replies

When I rebuilt my C4 i had a similar issue- when cranking there would be this awful clanking and banging sound. I had bolted it up without the torque converter drain bolt going through the hole... DOH!

All I did was loosen the bolts all around the transmission and then installed 2 much longer bolts at the 9-3 o'clock bolt holes and then was able to slide the tranny back at least 1.5-2"

Plenty of room to wiggle the torque converter into place and get it bolted up properly.

On 9/17/2018 at 9:17 PM, 69 red fastback said:

Thanks for the replies,

barnett, I don't know much about tanny's but I sure wish I would have know that before we pulled it out, that might have saved a lot of trouble.

1969_mach1, he is going to take the flex plate off and check it and also check the starter.

Thanks again for the replies

Sorry but i do not look at this site every day.