Mach1 Driver

Rim Blow horns and tilt columns

I called Ididit and they do not offer a tilt column for a Mach1 rim blow wheel. Flaming River says they do, but the instructions say there may need to be some modifications to the wheel, and the directions are sketchy at best. Has anyone done this?

The stock horn has two wires that are +12v going to two slip rings. I can see that it needs to be converted to a one wire negative ground for the horn. Adding a relay is not a big deal, BUT can the new Flaming River slip ring system be made to contact one side of the rim blow switch and can the other side of the switch be connected to ground? 

The latest: now Ididit says it should work. I sent them a drawing showing the position of the two slip rings on the back of the wheel. Upon further questing, their tech support said they didn't know where their slip ring was positioned but he had never had a Ford wheel that hadn't worked. Gives you a bunch of confidence doesn't it? Only 25% of any profession is competent at what they do. This guy is in the 75% group. Apparently he doesn't know how to pick up a column and measure it. I should be used to it by now- three out of four times people are going to irritate the crap out of you.

On 9/16/2018 at 9:47 AM, Mach1 Driver said:

The latest: now Ididit says it should work. I sent them a drawing showing the position of the two slip rings on the back of the wheel. Upon further questing, their tech support said they didn't know where their slip ring was positioned but he had never had a Ford wheel that hadn't worked. Gives you a bunch of confidence doesn't it? Only 25% of any profession is competent at what they do. This guy is in the 75% group. Apparently he doesn't know how to pick up a column and measure it. I should be used to it by now- three out of four times people are going to irritate the crap out of you.

Unfortunatly a lot of the aftermarket goodies are made for the Chev market and us Ford guys have to modify and adapt it to suit. Im going through this now on my 56 F100 project.  Pretty poor form from Flaming River if they can't even measure the slip ring for you.  

Ididit is no help- they don't even know where the spring contact is positioned and won't take the time to measure it.

Flaming River has been the most help, but their spring contact does not line-up with either slip ring on the stock Mach1 wheel. They sell a horn kit that repositions the contact for a 65-66 wheel but it doesn't appear to work for a 69 and the dimensions are not provided.

I'm falling back to plan C, and getting a refurbished stock tilt column that will bolt in with no modifications. Apparently Lincolns and T-Birds used the same column and pretty much all had tilt columns so they aren't too difficult to find.

My  69 Vert has factory tilt/breakaway, and many years ago I acquired a second complete tilt assembly for the Mach 1 I was going to build.  The Mach 1 never happened, and I was considering parting with the tilt system, if you are interested.  I have seen them on fleabay for about $900.