Mach1 Driver

MSD ignition box placement

I installed mine in the engine compartment, attached mine to the left inner fender panel in front of the shock tower.  It has good ventilation and air flow.  But, definitely not hidden.  Many people find a location inside the car to hide it.  For me, it was more important it has good air flow.

I used the Petronix Digital HP ignition box & I mounted it on the l/s front inner fender panel along with the 2 electric cooling fan relays between the shock tower & the washer bottle.

57175-1-18-18-installed-ignition-box-sta

When I had one, I mounted it on the apron under the battery.  I took the battery tray, and cut off the bottom bracket, so that it was just the tray.  That gave me enough room to mount it down on the panel under the tray.  The battery tray was still stable as I had it bolted up top as well.  If you look at the middle left, you can see it sitting down there.  The battery IS installed in this shot.  I did paint it black to make it hide better.

sc14.JPG

I put mine on the driver inner fender panel, but a friend mounted his under the dash, he then split the tape on the gauge harness and ran the wire with that and rewraped the harness.

you would have to look very carefully to see that he had an MSD or anything added

I plan on mounting mine under the passenger side dash since there's more room on that side. I think cleaner looking is always the best, unless function is sacrificied. MSD says it's fine to extend the leads as long as you upsize each lead 1 size. I have read glove boxes are a terrible idea because air flow IS important. In that regard, make sure it's away from your heating ducts if you do mount it inside. As far as where to go through the firewall...I'm open to ideas. Admittedly I've already put more holes in mine than I should have for wires. EDIT: don't forget to set your limiter before final mounting! Turning the knobs could be difficult if its under dash etc

2 hours ago, Rsanter said:

a friend mounted his under the dash, he then split the tape on the gauge harness and ran the wire with that and rewraped the harness.

you would have to look very carefully to see that he had an MSD or anything added

Some people complain that the box makes buzzing noises- has he noticed that?