Midlife

1969 Heater Box Question

Quick question: Does the 1969 heater box change with AC?  I know it does for 1970, as the length of wires for the heater box connector changes, but I'm not sure about 69's.

Perhaps a better way to ask is: does the position of the resistor pack that the heater box connector plugs into change when the box is AC vice non-AC?

It's been along time but at one point I had both A/C and non-A/C 1969 heater boxes.  I don't remember where the resistor block was located on the non-A/C heater box.  But they were different.  Blower motors were different and in different locations.  On the non-A/C heater box the blower motor was on the passenger side and passed through a hole in the firewall.  On the A/C heater box the blower motor was about in the middle, behind where the heater A/C controls are mounted on the dash.

The '69 & '70 heater boxes are virtually identical, and yes, both of them have one design for heat only, and another design that is heat & AC.  Those two styles are completely different from each other.  Also, yes, the position of the resistor pack that the heater box connector plugs into changes when the box is AC vice non-AC?  I have an example of each, and feel free to let me know if you would like a picture of anything.

Thanks, all. I have noticed that wiring harnesses for AC have slightly different layouts for the heater plug wiring.  There are at least 4 variants.  I now have a better idea of what to do when adding AC wiring to a non-AC harness: I have to unwrap the heater wiring from the right door jamb wires and break it out of the main harness further up.