Sign in to follow this  
Jack Wheeler

Lpooking Again - Headlight Buckets

I am working on a 1969 Mach1, and every day it seems I find new problems that need to be addressed.  This time, it is the fender extensions (sometimes also called headlight buckets).  On both sides there is supposed to be a tab, which extends down and provides an attachment point for the lower front valence.  Both of the tabs on this car are broken off.  Otherwise, the headlight buckets are in excellent condition.  Therefore, given the cost of new ones, does anyone have any experience with repairing this type of problem?  Is there any way to weld this material?  Or, if not, does anyone have a set of used fender extensions that are in reasonably good condition, that they would be willing to sell?  I don't need the actual buckets which the headlights sit in, or any of the hardware, just the extension piece itself.  As usual, thanks very much for your help.

Jack Wheeler

I got these off ebay. Once painted, you'll never see them behind the bumper. I checked but couldn't locate the ebay listing. I've tig welded repairs to the fender extensions, but these repair tabs are the way to go, imo.

headlight bucket tab.jpg

headlight bucket tab.jpg

headlight bucket tab.jpg

headlight bucket tab.jpg

Thanks REDMASTERCRAFT.  Unfortunately, the tabs on this car were missing all together.  Therefore, I need to come up with new tabs.  Perhaps between the tabs suggested by RPM, and the Muggy Weld you suggested, I will have a good solution.  Thanks again.................   Jack 

I tried the local NAPA store today for Muggy Weld.  They had a number of products (mostly by J B Weld), but nothing specifically called Muggy Weld.  Would this product be available under a different name?  Or, does anyone know of a product that would work for this application?  RPM, what did you use to attach the new tab to the existing fender extension?   Thanks.

1 hour ago, Jack Wheeler said:

I tried the local NAPA store today for Muggy Weld.  They had a number of products (mostly by J B Weld), but nothing specifically called Muggy Weld.  Would this product be available under a different name?  Or, does anyone know of a product that would work for this application?  RPM, what did you use to attach the new tab to the existing fender extension?   Thanks.

I think the muggy weld is similar or the same as low temp aluminum "brazing" rod. The low temp rod is available online and on ebay and at most welding supply stores and at some harbor freight stores. It is difficult to use and often comes out pretty bad looking and is a weaker  joint than tig welding, however, it does work to varying degrees, and redmastercraft apparently had good success with it on his buckets. The biggest problem that I think you will face trying to use that is poor adhesion because the headlight housings are pot metal instead of pure aluminum, and pot metal is difficult enough to weld with a tig welder but it is certainly worth a try if you want to weld the tabs yourself instead of using adhesive.

Whatever you use, just be sure to clean the bejesus out of the part and sand, grind, or file the area you intend to weld with something like 80 or 100 grit sandpaper or a grinder etc. The rougher the surface the better the adhesion of most any product.

Your welcome,  There is a story their.  The guy Sanco passed away and his friend took over the business.  There was a gap where there was no contact or parts being sold.  The friend seems to be a good guy and back in business.

On 8/22/2018 at 6:08 AM, larryc94 said:

Your welcome,  There is a story their.  The guy Sanco passed away and his friend took over the business.  There was a gap where there was no contact or parts being sold.  The friend seems to be a good guy and back in business.

I posted the contact info below on another thread.

Forest Sanco no longer makes those parts,  but his friend has taken over and is now making them. His contact info is below.

Dana Morgan
7712 Abbott Drive
White Settlement, TX 76108
Phone (817) 819-0954