Sign in to follow this  
Rindelmach1

soft brake pedal

Hey guys, my 69 mach has original front discs and rear drums. recently i changed all 3 brake hoses and MC which improved the braking, however, the brake pedal is still soft.  I'm pretty I bleed them correctly and  use the autocraft brake bleeding kit. If I step on the pedal hard enough, I can pus it all the way down.  I would say I would have to push the pedal to about 70% of the distance until it starts slowing the car down.  Is this normal for a mach 1 and are there any other adjustments I should do?  I do not see any leaks in the brake lines. 

4 hours ago, Rindelmach1 said:

Hey guys, my 69 mach has original front discs and rear drums. recently i changed all 3 brake hoses and MC which improved the braking, however, the brake pedal is still soft. 

I would say I would have to push the pedal to about 70% of the distance until it starts slowing the car down.  Is this normal for a mach 1

Why did you change the brake hoses?

Is the pedal noticeably less soft then before you changed the brake hoses?

Is your power booster working?

Is there any sign of brake fluid on the booster just below the master cylinder?

Is your brake light on in the dash?

Did you check to see if the piston in the combo valve is centered?

Did you pull the boots back on the rear wheel cylinders to see it there is fluid in them?

No, this is not normal. The pedal should not depress more than around 1/3rd of the way with the engine running.

If the power booster was replaced, the adjustment of the rod inside of it that depresses the piston in the master may be incorrect and to large.

With the engine off, push on the pedal moderately hard and hold the pressure on it for at least 1 minute and see if the pedal continues to slowly go to the floor.

Next, pump the pedal 5 times and see if it starts getting firmer farther away from the floor.

Post all results.

2 hours ago, Rindelmach1 said:

I just finished adjusting the break booster rod which was off about 3/16 of an inch.  That fixed the loose brake pedal.  I used a template for the bendix rod adjustment.  

Xlnt, and glad I was able to help, however, your issue was actually "excessive" pedal travel, not a "soft" pedal. Just so you know for the future, excessive free play between the booster rod and master cylinder will only cause excessive travel. It will not cause a noticeably "soft" pedal.