3 hours ago, panteramatt said:

I want to swap in a TKO 600 in my 69 with a fmx. Modern driveline wants $6000 for the kit. Is there a cheaper route?

liberty trans . tko 600 $2929.00 PLUS, this includes the internal modifications so it will actually shift when you try to shift it quickly.

http://libertysgears.com/our-products/tremec/

astro trans . they can do the internal mods also. they also make high perf t5 trannies

https://astroperformance.com/product/tremec-tko-600-5-speed/

bell housings $250.00

https://astroperformance.com/product-category/bellhousings/

in case you didn't know, they make a long shaft trans that needs a spacer with the bell housing but puts the shifter in the correct location and a short shaft that does not need a spacer but needs the rearward set shifter to make the shifter line up with the hole in the tunnel. you may also need to cut the tunnel for clearance for the  trans to get it high enough so your driveline angles are correct or you may be able to install wedges under the axle to tilt the pinion downward.

I've installed a T-56 Magnum in my Mustang from American Powertrain. My brother installed a T-56 Magnum in his Barracuda from Silversport Transmissions. The latter was clearly the better kit.

Also, have you considered the T-56? It is a bigger transmission, and a bit more work, but it shifts much nicer. The TKO feels like a railroad track shifter lever in comparison.

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 6:49 AM, panteramatt said:

Not sure, I got a quote a long time ago. Will I have to make any tunnel mods for a tko? Im leaning on just throwing a T5 in there for now. If I swap to a T5 would a TKO be a upgrade later be a straight swap?

tunnel mods depend on the trans chosen and what you want for a driveline setup.  dimensionally the two transmissions are different so it won't be a straight swap.

On 8/18/2018 at 3:49 AM, panteramatt said:

Im leaning on just throwing a T5 in there for now.

What is your intended use for the car?

What size engine?

How much hp?

I only use the t5 with the world class model gear ratio because 1st gear in the non world class trans is too low for most peoples liking that i have dealt with including mine.

23 minutes ago, panteramatt said:

Car is just a street car. Has a mild 351w but will have a 408w with around 550 fwhp eventually. 

You could call astro and ask them about the trans below and any other T5 models they might suggest. Ask them if this trans uses their own cases or the original case. The t5's have a slightly "notchy" feel when they are shifted and you can ask if if these feel just like a stock one or shift smoother as well. These will have a little whine to them because of the gear style but it is not obnoxious and will be loudest in the lower gears, so at cruising speeds, it's barely noticeable.

I would not use a cable and I also prefer the original style pressure plates. Mcleod now has a line of oem style pressure plates with less pressure than the race ones they sell, so one can actually push the clutch pedal in with 1 foot but you will probably have to call them and tell them what pressure you want if you want one as I haven't seen them in their online listings for the last few years.

https://astroperformance.com/product/575-torque-ford-a-5-transmission-2/

I put a T5 in my '67 and the only drama was the cable.   With full length headers it's a challenge to route it so it won't eventually fail.  It may help to run a longer cable - I believe I used an '03 mustang cable but I"d google it. 

Is there a '69 cable conversion?   The 69 cowl area is different so you need I sawzall to install the '67 kit I have.  Ask me how I know :)

On a C3 vette t56 I did I went with a hydraulic TO bearing.   I'd recommend it.

Normally  we always  install the TKO 600 from  Modern  Driveline,  but on our own  65 fastback that's  going to  SEMA they talked  us into the T56. I will say for the extra 400.00  there is a huge difference in the how they  shift.  With a  stock front  suspension  there will  be  modifications to the  tunnel and firewall.  We had no modifications to  ours because of our  MTF suspension. 

I didn't have to do any tunnel mods to replace an fmx with a t5 in my 69 Mach. I sourced the trans and bell off of Craigslist and used Modern Drive line for the hydraulic clutch,crossmember and other bits. Modern was very helpful with advice even though I didn't buy the trans through them. Solid,stand up company with whom I will do business with again. I am very happy with my hydraulic clutch(slave cylinder version) and would recommend it. Whichever way you go,three pedals is a lot of fun! Bo