Sign in to follow this  
Jack Wheeler

Looking for Gauges with Tach

I'm working on a 1969 Mach1.  This car did not come with a tach.  We would like to find a set of gauges with a tachometer to replace the existing gauges.  Since I am rewiring the car, this is the time to do it, so I can get the correct wiring harness.  If anyone has these that they would be willing to sell, or if you know where I might be able to find these, please let me know.  Thanks......   Jack

Worst case is you can rewire your existing under hood harness to work with OEM tach.  The underdash harness needs a little modification but not as much as the under hood harness.  I've done it once.  Takes some time studying the wiring diagrams for both setups and making the changes.

A used OEM underdash and underhood Tach harness will be expensive unless the seller doesn't realize how rare it is.  One the members here, MIdlife, specializes in repairing and rebuilding wiring harnesses for these cars.  He can very likely rework your harness for an OEM tach setup.

Oh yeah, make certain the tach and all the other gauges operate before getting too involved in the project.  Even simple fuel gauge is expensive for that instrument panel.  And many won't sell individual parts or gauges for that instrument panel. 

Try reaching out to this two suppliers

http://www.tachman.com/ford.htm

https://www.rccinnovations.com/index.php?show=menu-overlays

I don't know if you can get everything from them but it's worth asking.  Otherwise if Originality isn't import to you there are couple companies that sell a whole upgrade packege

http://newvintageusallc.mybigcommerce.com/69-70/

and

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=791/category_id=434/mode=prod/prd791.htm

A third option that I'm using (maybe to be upgraded later) is to get an analog aftermarket gauge that looks period or a hood mounted Tach.

The factory tach instrument panel has got pretty hard to find, and I am pretty sure they are not being reproduced.  I saw one sell on eBay around a month ago for around $900, which seems to be around the going rate.  I would watch eBay closely, as well as putting up some wanted ads on the Mustang sites.  If you add it, Midlife can convert the main harness, then if you want it factory, you need a different under hood harness, plus a different alternator harness.  It isn't a problem if you are replacing those anyway (which usually has to be done), and I would also recommend Tachman if you find a cluster and need it restored.

I misread the original post.  I thought Jack already had an original instrument cluster with a tach.  Those are very rare.  Even more for the deluxe interior and Mach 1 bluish grey gauge face color.  One in good condition with all the gauges and tach operating will be very expensive.  You can try Perogie Enterprises.  That would be my first phone call for something like that.

If you find one that needs some gauges or the tach repaired I would first use Rocketmans Classic Cougar Innovations or Red Line Gauge Works.  Tachman does good work but can be moody.  Catch him on a bad day and you'll wish you went somewhere else.  If the tach doesn't work usually the only option is to have it retrofit since usually the movement assembly fails and those are not available new.

Yup, I've seen 69/70 tach dash clusters go on eBay about once every 3 to 4 months, usually around $1000.  I can easily convert the underdash to tach configuration; the headlight harness is nearly impossible to convert to stock configuration due to a unique alternator plug wire (4 pins, one of the center ones is thick for power) not found elsewhere.  There's another person who can refurbish a tach: Phil Severance at http://www.phidonrestorations.com/

RCCI has a nifty plug-n-play tach gauge replacement for the 71-73 dash cluster and I know he's tried to do the same for the 69/70's.  I don't know if he is still trying, but it may be worth a call. 

I was in the same boat and converted to a Dakota Digital VHX dash.  It's look pretty stock and only the discerning eye or a 69/0 owner can tell they aren't original.  The gauges are very accurate.  It's not the easiest thing to install and certainly much harder than a simple hack and splice job on an old cluster but wayyyyyyy better.  I also got the clock option.  The instrument cluster connects to the control via network CAT-5 cable, pretty cool.  Removing the cluster is a breeze, no more worrying about that da*n speedo cable!

Ken

Thanks to rutkak.  Hi Ken.  I would like to hear more about your conversion.  Can you contact me offline at jwheeler1947@yahoo.com?  I will be out of town for the next 3 days, so take your time.  I would like to know all of the steps involved, and of course, the cost.  Thanks.

Jack

On 8/10/2018 at 12:12 PM, MN69Grande said:

A third option ...... a hood mounted Tach.

I found a complete cluster with tach years ago, it was pricey then. I saw a 'period correct' hood mounted tach on a red 69 the other day. Talked to the guy and I cant remember where he said he got it but it looked awesome. Totally different look to the car. Good luck