Sign in to follow this  
ralt962

Engine Oil Dipstick tube

Can someone tell me the real length for the oil dipstick tube and the dipstick for a 351W.  I purchased the 13 11/16 tube which according to NPD is the right tube for the 351.  It is very different vs the tube that was on my engine.  Measuring from the point where the tube gets pressed into the front cover to the tip of the stick is about 3" different.  The one in the car was farther down in the pan, which would tell me to have less oil.  But I want to confirm I'm using the correct stick.  

thanks

I am looking at a C9OE-6750-B dipstick, and the length from the tip to the top of the shroud (installed height/length) is approx. 22 3/4".  I do have an extra one if you need it.  Also, the upper limit (full mark) of the dipstick is 2 7/16" from the tip.

Thank you this helps.  The one that was in the car has the Ford part number and the oval stamped in it.  But its shorter.  Then I noticed its been cut at the end.  There is only the the upper limit stamped in the stick.  The rest of it has been cut off.  I'll have to pull the one I now have in the car and see if it stacks up to the measurements you provided.  

If you measure from the full mark to the start of the shroud is it 20 3/8"?  I think the math works.  Or atleast close to it.  

thanks for the help.

13 minutes ago, ralt962 said:

Thank you this helps.  The one that was in the car has the Ford part number and the oval stamped in it.  But its shorter.  Then I noticed its been cut at the end.  There is only the the upper limit stamped in the stick.  The rest of it has been cut off.  I'll have to pull the one I now have in the car and see if it stacks up to the measurements you provided.  

If you measure from the full mark to the start of the shroud is it 20 3/8"?  I think the math works.  Or atleast close to it.  

thanks for the help.

If you are calculating it from the top of the shroud (where it seats against the tube when installed), then yes, you are correct with the 20 3/8" length.

Yes thats what I was doing.  Not sure why they cut it down, but not I have the correct length dipstick to compare.  The one I bought at NPD was wrong.  It must be fore the 302.

Greatly appreciate the quick responses.  I had a low oil pressure issue and found out the pick up tube was from a 302, very different from the 351.  Add to this the dip stick tube issue ( it was too long so the dipstick would ride higher in the pan).

I fired it up tonight and the gauge now shows the correct pressure.  Back in business.  thanks,

Wow, so your low oil pressure was from the wrong pick up tube. I too have made the mistake of trusting folks to send the correct parts. With my Milodon 7-1/2 qt pan, I checked the distance from the bottom of the pick up tube to the pan with play doh.  I now trust, but verify.

8 hours ago, RPM said:

Wow, so your low oil pressure was from the wrong pick up tube. I too have made the mistake of trusting folks to send the correct parts. With my Milodon 7-1/2 qt pan, I checked the distance from the bottom of the pick up tube to the pan with play doh.  I now trust, but verify.

Completely agree.  You cant trust even the new parts.  My new Carter fuel pump I found out was putting out 15psi, mainly from a design flaw.  Took a while to diagnose and switched to an Edelbrock.   Need to double check everything.