Bill Bailey

Does anyone repop the A/C Diffusers

The chrome center diffuser is not reproduced anywhere that I am aware of.  The side diffusers can be gotten from other Fords of that year - Mercury, etc. You'll often find the side diffusers on ebay and they can be restored to their full glory.  The center diffuser is much more sought after especially with minimal blistering.

Just now, 69ShelbyGT350H said:

I took mine apart, cleaned, painted, and put them back together. One of them needed the felt re-glued. I used a Silver Leaf paint pen from Amazon to re-apply the chrome accents on the defusers. 

20180728_145649.jpg

They look great. I think I'll do the same. Thank you!

After removing from the dash, there are 3 pins holding the rear ring on. Using a flat chisel, I carefully tapped the rear ring off the pins. On re-assembly I tapped the rear ring back onto the pins, then used a punch to spread the pins back out to make sure they held securely. My 2nd vent actually had the pins replaced with 3 small screws, there were remnants of the pins still. I never knew anyone had my dash apart before.

1 hour ago, 69ShelbyGT350H said:

I took mine apart, cleaned, painted, and put them back together. One of them needed the felt re-glued. I used a Silver Leaf paint pen from Amazon to re-apply the chrome accents on the defusers. 

20180728_145649.jpg

I was going to start a thread asking how to repair the chrome around my gauges. Thanks for the idea of the silver leaf paint pen. I’ll look for one now.

Get as much ready to paint with the pen as you can as the tip tends to dry out after sitting a bit. Takes a lot of pumping to get the paint out sometimes. The tip is spring loaded. Place the pen tip down and start pressing/pumping it until the paint starts flowing. Mine is now a couple months old and the paint in the tip has dried up. I have to pump some out near where the pen meets the tip, wipe the paint on some newspaper and then dip the tip into it to use the pen. I'm on my 2nd pen as the first one dried up after a couple of uses and now no more paint comes out.

3 hours ago, 69ShelbyGT350H said:

Get as much ready to paint with the pen as you can as the tip tends to dry out after sitting a bit. Takes a lot of pumping to get the paint out sometimes. The tip is spring loaded. Place the pen tip down and start pressing/pumping it until the paint starts flowing. Mine is now a couple months old and the paint in the tip has dried up. I have to pump some out near where the pen meets the tip, wipe the paint on some newspaper and then dip the tip into it to use the pen. I'm on my 2nd pen as the first one dried up after a couple of uses and now no more paint comes out.

Good to know. thanks again

On 7/30/2018 at 7:24 PM, 69ShelbyGT350H said:

20180728_145649.jpg

Felt, not Velcro. Velcro would be too thick and then you would have problems turning the vent/defuser.

From under the metal dash and looking over the metal dash with the pad off, you can remove the plastic ducts from the back of the vents. They will pull off the clips toward the front of the car and then slip off the cloth and/or plastic vent tubing. Remove the elbows from the back, out the bottom of the dash. Each vent has 3 Phillips screws on the back side. Using a shorty Phillips screwdriver you have to work blind or use a mirror and you can back them out or totally remove them. If loosened, turn the back mount clockwise while holding the vent against the dash. Once the vent mount cup is off the front of the vent will come out of the metal dash. 

To re-install, put the 3 screws in each vent a couple of turns. Put the vent into the metal dash and then the vent cup in the back, sliding the cup over the 3 screws. Rotate the vent cup to lock it over the 3 screws and then tighten the Phillips screws. Attach the elbows to the ducting and then press back onto the vents.

I just had to take my vents back out after mounting the metal dash on the car as I had not installed the dash wiring first. Wiring needs to go first. The rear harness to dash harness attaches behind the drivers side A/C vent, so it had to come out. The passenger door wiring comes out behind the passenger A/C vent, it is next for me.