Viperpete

Gauge cluster

ok so I recently rewired my entire car with an AAW kit. The gauges do not work (nothing electrical works for that matter). Well only the speedo does as I got a new cable- and only the high beam warning light- and I'm not really concerned with the stock gauges working anyway right now but...... When I complete this project I am going to want new gauges. I want the car to appear as stock as possible but I want modern gauges. Do any of you have new/aftermarket gauges in the stock cluster that "look" old school but have modern guts? I know there are only 4 gauge pods for the 69' but I think there's gotta be someone that makes a big style speedo and tach that will fit in the stock location and then also a dual gauge like coolant temp and oil pressure sharing a gauge and then fuel level and volt meter as another gauge. Am I totally off base here or is that a reality? The speedo will have to be at least 160mph+ and the tach 8k rpm+

thanks for your input.

this is the mustangs to fear dash panel with speed hut gauges. The gauges can be custom made on their website...a lot of options. Speedo is a GPS unit that will also do 1/4 mile and 0-60 times. they are all programmable idiot lights as well...shift light for tac, getting close to empty on fuel, etc... The panel itself is a nice piece. No complaints yet, but i haven't installed it yet. I also have the matching passenger side panel. 

I went with Nu Vintage Gauges. They look great but you need to ask for every little thing. I started out with the 68 gauges that look period correct. I asked for the led lights, turn signal indicators and bright light indicator along with the spun center silver discs. I wish i would have asked for some florescence needles because the stock ones are hard to see. Also ask for the correct fuel sending unit resistance Fuel gauge. They sent me the wrong one and I had to send the gauge back. I don't remember what the stock sending unit resistance so you will have to figure that out before you orded them.

New Gauges Installed2.JPG

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 7:15 AM, LiLMike said:

I went with Nu Vintage Gauges. They look great but you need to ask for every little thing. I started out with the 68 gauges that look period correct. I asked for the led lights, turn signal indicators and bright light indicator along with the spun center silver discs. I wish i would have asked for some florescence needles because the stock ones are hard to see. Also ask for the correct fuel sending unit resistance Fuel gauge. They sent me the wrong one and I had to send the gauge back. I don't remember what the stock sending unit resistance so you will have to figure that out before you orded them.

New Gauges Installed2.JPG

WOW … never seen this !!

Got to be the closest to stock appearing option I've seen yet, nice find.    As you said you need to ask for every option, wonder if you could get the blueish tinted background (instead of black) that deluxe dash clusters had to make it appear even more stock with the woodgrain.   Minor thing that only a '69-70 Mustang nut would notice.   Even the font used on the speedo & tach looks very similar to what was used on a standard black dash cluster.

Doug 

On 7/31/2018 at 8:15 AM, LiLMike said:

I really, really like the look too. I was all set to get Dakota Digital, but this got me thinking. I made a drawing of the changes I would like and sent a RFQ. It will be interesting to see what custom gauges will cost. I've asked for 12 changes between the four gauges. I want to add a turn signal to the right and left gauge. The water temp scale doesn't make sense and neither does the bat cond scale, so that needs to be addressed. I want to add a red brake warning light, blue high beam indicator, and yellow park brake light to the tach, light-up needles, spun center caps, and a picture of the running horse on the speedo and a Mach1 badge on the tach. I also want light green perimeter lighting like the original.

For you guys interested in the New Vintage gauges, I've been in recent email communication with them, and found out a few things:

1. Their vendor for the center spun caps has flaked out on them and they are currently unable to make them. They are negotiating with a new vendor and hope to have a new source soon.

2. The layout for the two smaller outside gauges that you see in the third post above (LiLMike) can be updated from 90 degree sweeps to 150 degrees at an hourly rate: 1-2 hrs @$145/hr. This gives you a bigger scale and fixes the funky graphics on water and volts that don't quite make sense. It also has turn signals- I'm not sure if LiLMike's does or not.

3. If you like you can add information lights- the stock gauges have a Brake Warning light, and high beam indicator. I am going to add three lights to the tach: a red brake warning light, blue high beam light, and a yellow parking brake light.

4. I tried to get an image of the running Mustang and Mach1 emblem, but they are concerned about litigation and don't want to do it.

5. There are two types of lighting. LiLMike complained that the pointers weren't visible enough. He has the standard perimeter lighting. They say they can do custom backlighting which is a huge improvement, but didn't mention the cost.

The first picture is #2, the second is an example of backlighting, and the last is an example of perimeter lighting- a method similar to the stock gauges. Personally I have trouble seeing the smaller pointers with perimeter lighting.

gauge1.png

backlighting.jpg

perimeter lighting.jpg

Yes i have the turn signal indicators. I really don't have a problem with the scaling of the gauges. I have the LED back lighting which is great. I just have trouble reading the gauges in the daylight. The glass reflects and you can not see where the needles are pointing. I wish I would have had white, neon or illuminated needles installed.

I like Dakota's backlighting much better than New Vintage's perimeter lighting, so I asked Dakota if they could add spun center caps. Here is the reply:

Thank you for the email, unfortunately there isn’t clearance to add that accent to the VHX line.

The Retrotech (RTX) series will be available around the beginning of 2019 if that is an option for you.  That will mimic the stock look.

43195052042_484fff262d_o-1.jpg