Thin Lizzy

What's the best colour for my 69 Mach 1?

Hi All,

Would be grateful for your opinion, got my 69 booked in at the paintshop soon and can't decide on a colour.

The original 50 year old black Jade paint on my car is looking very tired.  The doors and top of the wings have faded and crazed badly and there are lots of very smalls blisters that have recently appeared over the panel sides, that may have surface corrosion under them.

So I was thinking time for a respray.

Here are the options.

Cherry Red Metallic

42648684315_3f09fa54b2_b.jpg

Black Jade

42899451304_3c1d4debd4_b.jpg

True Blue Metallic

42899451714_44fbf85e06_b.jpg

Or keep it as is.

28888861598_336d007955_b.jpg

What do you think?

Tough call. There aren't a lot of '69 Mustangs still wearing their original paint and that 50-year-old patina has a certain charm. OTOH, it's hard to argue against the incredible mirror-finish of a fresh, modern two-stage paint job. If it was me (and it isn't), while I kinda like the cherry red, I'd probably keep the black jade.

Depends on you, I kinda like sticking to the original color as it helps if your showing the car to match the data plate. But if your not fond of the Black Jade, then I guess a color change is in order. Do you keep to a Ford 69 color or go with something else? 

I wanted originality so stuck with the Candy Apple Red. I wanted to paint it SS but nobody local would do SS. I ended up with a BC/CC paint job that looks really nice.

20180125_140756.jpg

I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to paint color.  If it were mine I'd either leave it as is because it's still original, or repaint it the same original color.  Plus I'm not a big fan of red colors.  Liked them a lot when I was younger.  But for some reason they do nothing for me anymore.

As far as value of the car, probably highest if left as is, then a little less if a repaint in the original color, and lowest if the color is changed from original.

If that's your 69 where you say keep it as is, I wouldn't paint it. But if you're set on new paint, Black Jade gets my vote. New paint is fun though. I still kick myself for not going back to the original Silver Jade.

6 hours ago, Thin Lizzy said:

Thanks for your comments.  All my mates are saying Cherry red too.

I do like originality, but black Jade is a dull color and isn't very popular these day.

Oh, I disagree. Red grabs the eye to be sure, but black jade reminds me of British Racing Green. Sort of stealthy yet strong. But the choice is yours, paint it a color that speaks to you.

17 minutes ago, Ridge Runner said:

You could paint my 69 ,say gulfstream aqua ...just to see if you like the color ,if you liked it then you could paint yours and you would know what you were going to get

I like Gulf Stream Aqua as well. My 2nd  Mustang, a 69 GT.

69GT_13.jpg

It's a difficult decision.  I do like originality and don't want to muck the car up.

The reason for the other 2 colors are:

Cherry Red: I saw this in a magazine back in 1986 and that was the car I wanted.

43742219872_5bf6f7f4df_b.jpg

Another shot of that Cherry 69:

43742220072_a2230abd94_b.jpg

Blue: My previous Mustang was a 72 vert in Ford True Blue Metallic:

42887016765_4c53856de2_b.jpg

Maybe I should buy a cheap 69 Mustang fb and respray that instead.

On 7/31/2018 at 4:10 PM, newstang said:

anything but Silver Jade, this is what my car looked like in 2001, I hated this color. 

My latest stang is getting painted Ferrari red ( rosso corsa ) 

You sound like me, 20 years ago. I painted mine Porsche India/Indian red. Then I came to love the beauty of Silver Jade. You'll grow up too :) Just teasing on that last line. Sorry :) Couldn't hep myself.  Beauty (color) is after all, in the eye of the beholder.

Another vote here for Black Jade, and I would highly recommend BC/CC vs. SS.  I have yet to to take a good picture of mine, but with a good coat of wax, it looks menacing and rich at the same time.  It is kind of like a custom color, and you never see anything like it.

On 7/31/2018 at 6:10 PM, newstang said:

anything but Silver Jade, this is what my car looked like in 2001, I hated this color. 

My latest stang is getting painted Ferrari red ( rosso corsa ) 

2001-06-15 16.38.52.jpg

I am pretty positive that isn't a correct Silver Jade, and I can see why you didn't like it (it looks like Grabber Green to me).  When Silver Jade is done correctly it looks pretty good to most people.  Coincidentally, I have both a Silver Jade & a Black Jade Mach 1.  Here they are beside each other, and the picture makes the Black Jade car look a lot darker than it actually is.

DSC04562 (1).jpg

Great shot, that black jade 69 looks great.

On 8/1/2018 at 10:05 PM, MAC390 said:

I did not know that you can can buy cheap 69 fb mustangs, not down my way. lol

Prices in the States seem strong. Prices here in the UK are on the down. Uncertainty over Brexit has hit the market.  I’ve seen a few bargains recently.

21 hours ago, mqu02 said:

I am pretty positive that isn't a correct Silver Jade, and I can see why you didn't like it (it looks like Grabber Green to me).  When Silver Jade is done correctly it looks pretty good to most people.  Coincidentally, I have both a Silver Jade & a Black Jade Mach 1.  Here they are beside each other, and the picture makes the Black Jade car look a lot darker than it actually is.

DSC04562 (1).jpg

your right, yours looks better and actually shows some silver in there, This was painted by some hack who said it was silver jade.