Viperpete

Hello ALL!!!

Hey everyone! My name is Peter Sessler. I am a recent owner of a 1969 Mustang Fastback. I got the car on ebay in January and it has TONS of issues! But that's OK! I looked for one for about 9 months before I found one i could afford. I am going to have to tear everything apart anyway. A little backround on me..... Ive been a part of car forums for almost 20 years. My dad is an automotive writer. He has written over 90 books on cars. He had two 1969 Boss 429 Mustangs a 70 Mach 1 and also a 67 GT350 Convertible growing up. My dad has been on his "last legs" for the better part of a decade so this car is going to be our final project together.

My plan is to build this car into a Boss 429 clone. From the outside it will appear as a stock Boss 429- but will have modern running gear. Interior will be as stock looking as possible as well. Using a 460 block and a pair of Jon Kasse heads. Stroke the motor to 600 cubes and have stack injection. I have been collecting parts for the project and also enjoying the car for what it is. I really refer to it as my gray turd. Car needs a new floor pan- cowl dumps water onto your feet, a bunch of patch work on the rear quarters among a lot of other areas. Basically the previous owner rattle canned the car and threw it together to sell it. Saying it was poorly  "thrown together' is an understatement. Since I got the car I have completely re-wired it with a AAW harness. The car had almost ZERO wires in it. The dash was full of sand and dirt. I rebuilt the C4 myself which was a great experience. I have since acquired a 9" rear and a TR6060 that I plan on using- the 460 is on the stand- and I have the Boss 429 hood scoop. Within a couple of months I am going to buy the Mustangs to Fear long subframe with their IFS, a watts 4 link rear and big brakes. The car has non power drum brakes, but it does have power steering and factory A/C (that isn't there). Its a pretty basic car. I am going to do as much work myself as I can. I have never done body work before so that will be a new challenge. I am able to weld and do some light metal fab. I am a member of Vintage Mustang forums and also the Mustang Club of America. My wife has a 2005 Mustang GT in legend Lime with a 5-speed, long tube headers- and she absolutely loves the car. I have a 2013 Dodge Viper at 600whp so I am accustomed to a car having power, handling, and being able to stop. That's what I want my Boss 429 clone to be like. There is no reason it cant.

Anyway, here are some pics of my gray turd!

Before it was thrown together:

old_1.jpg

old_4.jpg

As it sits now:

front.jpg

engine.jpg

interior.jpg

C4 rebuild:

IMG_2189.jpg

TRANNY_APART.jpg

Rewire:

IMG_2430.jpg

IMG_2429.jpg

Car hasn't had lights in who knows how many decades. I really like wiring. It is astonishing me how it DESTROYS time!

Lights.jpg

Tails.jpg

The frame has massive rust holes and the floor pan is literally cut up and screwed together. I am surprised that I don't fall through the floor.

IMG_1669.jpg

FDSFDSAFD.jpg

IMG_1645.jpg

IMG_1652.jpg

It does start right up and that's something though. I recently installed a 1 wire alternator and an electronic ignition.  Everything leaks and the front wheel bearings are scary sounding but its still so nostalgic driving the car. Looking forward to reading your posts and contributing where i can! I have a ton more pics on my build thread on VMF, but i somehow found my way here so I figured id join a club dedicated to the most beautiful Mustang ever made.

Finally a newcomer I don't have to axe for pictures of the car or where they live!  :)

Hey there Pete, welcome to the forum! I know it doesn't need saying, but enjoy the times with your dad while you can. I miss mine dearly.

If you can do a C4, the rest of your 69 should be a snap. Real nice shop you have there. When the time comes, and you care to, I'll buy those drum brake spindles from you. Clearly you are a smart man, as evidenced by owning a 69 Mustang!

10 hours ago, bigmal said:

Great project. I’ll definitely be following this. Thanks 

Thankyou! Its been work so far getting the car road worthy, but still fun!

8 hours ago, RPM said:

Finally a newcomer I don't have to axe for pictures of the car or where they live!  :)

Hey there Pete, welcome to the forum! I know it doesn't need saying, but enjoy the times with your dad while you can. I miss mine dearly.

If you can do a C4, the rest of your 69 should be a snap. Real nice shop you have there. When the time comes, and you care to, I'll buy those drum brake spindles from you. Clearly you are a smart man, as evidenced by owning a 69 Mustang!

Thanks Bob! Literally every moving part on the car will be available for sale when the time comes.

10 hours ago, bigmal said:

Great project. I’ll definitely be following this. Thanks 

Thank you! I'm sure i'll have a ton of questions as the project moves along.

Here are some pictures of my dad's cars

5e9f781437eba62f483ebcd7e7600d41.jpg

Boss_and_Shelby.jpg

Two_Bosses.jpg

He had a 1 of 13 experimental Can Am 494 aluminum block he was going to use in the car.... sold it! damnit....

My_Can_AM_494_block_-_1_of_13.jpg

Experimented with several intake/carb setups over the years

1969_Mustang_Boss_429_w-dual_4_Vs.jpg

1969_Mustang_Boss_429_w.dual_quads.jpg

1969_Mustang_Boss_429_w.torque_box_intak

1969_Mustang_Boss_429_w.Empire_State_Bld

Welcome! I too am considering Mustangs to Fear IFS. Everytime I'm just about ready to buy an IFS kit I review the different ones out there again and see something I like about another brand. Right now, the MTF IFS is my preference. Like the old Boss 9s.