maleah

Head and cam combo

Looking for opinions for a head and cam combo.  Currently I have a stock bottom end 351w, with a mild cam from the 1990's.  the heads are stock 302 heads.  I have a Weiand stealth intake with a 600 summit carb.  3.25 traction loc rear with a 4 speed toploader.  I was thinking on keeping the stock bottom end. I plan on upgrading to headers and 2.5 inch exhaust as it is now only 2inch with stock exhaust manifolds.  Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated. 

With the cubic inches, big exhaust and headers you really need some good flowing heads.  There are plenty out there but of course they are expensive.  Even stock early model 351 heads would be a big improvement. If you can't get that then a high lift cam with some decent valve overlap would help a lot with those 302 heads.

david

need to know exactly what you want the engine to do and how you will drive it and how much money you have and whether your pistons are dished or flat on top etc.

afr heads are one of the best but they are also one of the most expensive . eddy e street heads with the big valves are decent for a moderate build and are reasonably priced.

roller cams are nice but are expensive and are overkill in mild builds, especially if one is on a budget.

if you want much of a power increase, you need a bigger carb as well.

hedman elite headers are the best bang for the buck . I use remflex gaskets so they don't leak.

your stock 2" exhaust tubes are plenty big enough for a moderate build but the stock mufflers should be changed out for your favorite type . magnaflows are straight thru and low restriction but are not as loud in the cab as most others.

Spirited driving around town as I dont think I would ever get to a track with a convertible. As for a budget,  $3500 to $4000 or so would be my goal.   As for the pistons, I dont know.  my guess would be flat, as I bought the long block it back in the 90's for $1400. I only have around 15000 miles on the car and engine since 1991, am not leaking oil anywhere and does not burn any oil whatsoever so im thinking the lower end is ok.   I do remember a conversation a conversation I had with the builder back then regarding the 302 heads on the 351 block. He mentioned the block would have more compression with the 302 heads.  As for the headers, I have the 4 speed and power steering.  I know that truly limits my header applications.  I do have flowmaster mufflers currently. 

ok, well you must determine what pistons you have before you buy heads so you can get the right compression . I would run around 10.0 to 1 in your case.

edelbrock 170 e street with 1.9 valves but you can use a very big roller cam with these unless you get better springs, eddy rpm heads, afr 170 or 185 . trick flow 170 as cast or 11 r.

an air gap intake won't easily fit but an eddy rpm may. you will need to make another thread to ask about that.

I would run around a 264 - 270 duration cam with a 110 lsa . howards makes some xlnt cams but I eed to find my howards catalog here then I can post a few.

Hi

I had the same kind of combo as yours and upgraded with the following parts :

- Eddy performer RPM with 1.90 valves ( I have old style pistons clearing 1.94 valves only)

- 1.6 steel roller rocker

- Rollmaster #10025 roller timing set with torrington bearings

Howards Camshaft 220051-12; 2400-6600 .496/.520" @ .050: 223 / 235, Centerline: 108  (112 LSA)

- JBA shorties 2.5"

- single plane Holley street Dominator with a Holley 650 DP 

Idle is around 850-900 and revving to 6000 - engine is very pleasant around street with its low and stable idle and the mid and high end are much better with a 3000 to 6000 rpm powerband

My 69 had a Ford Racing 393 in it when I got it.  The little engine is a lot of fun to drive in the car.  It idled around in hot traffic fine, very nice snappy reving, and moved the car with purpose when got after it.  Pulled great to 6k rpm...  

I decided I wanted to change some things up and am in the middle of upgrading to AFR 205 with custom cam from  Ed Curtis at Flow Tech Inductions.  

The short of it, i think for budget the Ford GT40x, a set of Edelbrock heads or similar mid level heads can make a very fun setup and not break the bank.  As mention by others AFR are great but cost more, but have the  most power potential...   As most of us are its easy to get wrapped up in big numbers etc.  But a 351w with moderate heads and cam will make some very fun and reliable numbers.  Check out the Engine Masters  where they tested some AFR on a 408 with a tiny cam.. 

Here is another that will give you an idea of what your looking at Hp wise..

https://www.motortrendondemand.com/detail/intakes-for-torque-vs-horsepower/0_ys6o01oy/

Scoped the pistons out this past weekend and found that they are flat top.  I have been looking at the AFR heads but not sure which ones to research for my application and i know nothing regarding cams.  I know I will need a new, bigger carb and will be upgrading to headers and a 2 1/2 exhaust.  I currently have the Stealth intake. 

1 hour ago, maleah said:

Scoped the pistons out this past weekend and found that they are flat top.  I have been looking at the AFR heads but not sure which ones to research for my application and i know nothing regarding cams.  I know I will need a new, bigger carb and will be upgrading to headers and a 2 1/2 exhaust.  I currently have the Stealth intake. 

ok, well if the pistons have stock size valve reliefs i would be hesitant to use afr heads because the valves might hit the pistons with the cam i would suggest. i can post it later today. i would consider some trick flow heads in the 58 cc to 62 cc range.

Hello Maleah,

Sounds like there is a lot in common between our cars. Here is my set-up:

• Original 351W, 0.030 over
  • 600 cfm Edelbrock Performer recalibrated w/ #1450 metering rods (after dyno)
  • Intake: Weiand stealth 8023
  • Heads: Stock 1969 cast iron Windsor, w/ 1.460 OD Valve springs and ARP rocker screw in studs
  • Cam: Howard Cams #CL22127510

in .528 / ex .533; Duration in 270/ ex 278; Duration @ .050: in 217 / ex 225; LSA: 108;

• Lifters: Howard Cams Hyd/roller
  • Push rods: Trick Flow (TFS-21407750) chrome moly 5/16x7.750
  • Roller rocker arms: Scorpion (SCCSCP3017BL) 3/8x1.6
  • Hooker Comp headers with Flowmasters 2,5 inches exhaust lines (car is manual 4 spd Toploader, no PS)

This has worked real good for me, even though I can feel the stock Windsor heads are restrictive at « higher » RPM. Better heads are on my bucket list. As is, motor feels very healthy and pulls really nice and strong in the low/mid range. It’s got 15,000 miles now (was rebuilt in 2014) and I get a very decent mileage when I behave myself...

With the 3.0 stock rear end, was timed at 140 mph on some secret highway over here. Super stable and reliable steering (with some opentrackerracing parts in the front), the car rides straight like an arrow. But man, it felt like Lucifer himself was pushing on the rear bumper!

G

Keep in mind that you only need the bigger headers, carb and exhaust for the higher RPMs.

if you are not spending much time at those higher RPMs then going bigger can lose low end response as well as mileage

for exhaust, 2” is fine. 2 1/4 is good, and unless you plan to be at wide open throddle a bunch then the 2 1/2 is really too big

do your research and you will find there are cam grinds available for the edelbrock, TFS, AFR heads that are designed for those heads.

some other places have build sheets that show example engine they build and what the dyno results are

for decent bargain aluminum heads you can look at the skip white heads

1 hour ago, maleah said:

Does anyone have an opinion on the Edlebrock top end packages for the Ford 351w?  Or, should i look to piece the top end together with different heads/cam etc?

Well if someone gave me one i would at least throw the cam away.