Sign in to follow this  
AJV69

What speedo gear do I need?

Tried to do the formula that they have on CJ Pony but cannot get a result that makes any sense. I have a 69 Mach 1 with FMX automatic trans, 325 trac lock rear, 245/60R15 tires on rear and 225/60R15 on front. Anyone know which one I need. The speedo gear in there now is about 10 mph to fast at 50 - 60 mph.

I didn't bother with the calculations. Each tooth on the gear makes about 5% difference to the reading. Look at what you currently have and get one with 4 more teeth. I would use a Speedo app to get an accurate reading as well. There are some very good ones out there.

45 minutes ago, AJV69 said:

Hey Mate, I lived in Sydney (Wohlarra) in 1970 - 71, working for Philips, loved your beautiful country and did a 2 month safari trip before leaving. Thanks for your answer.

Thanks mate, where are you in the US? I get there from time to time with work

Ran your spec's thru the CJ Registry calculator and a 20 tooth gear should be about right.  I just finished some stuff with my trans/rear end and at 60 mph I was running right at 3300/3400 rpms.  The chart below verified the rpm and mph.  Brian1100624277_RearEndRPM-SpeedChart-Copy.thumb.jpg.9b6f4d11a70a1c5d11e5726f3e480aaa.jpg