Print Dad

Clutch pedal not returning all the way to top

Had the firewall to z-bar spring not have been missing, the problem could have been the clutch pedal support bushings.   My pedal started returning all but the last 1/2" or so but not all the time back in 2011.   Ended up being the pot metal bushings that the plastic pedal support bearings ride in had split.   This pedal support was originally out of an A/T manual brake car (bushings like new) 30-40k miles ago so I was surprised to see them fail so quick.   I had even swapped in a new pedal shaft at that time and it was gouged up a bit, enough so I did not like the idea of the Scott Drake Roller Bearing type conversion kit riding on this shaft so I went with a Mustang Steve Ball Bearing type kit instead (bearing race rides on the shaft, not the bearings) and all is good now.

Doug

Hi, Glad PrintDad got to the end of his problem.  I have a follow-on question (hopefully not a repeat since I just joined). My clutch pedal has always seemed to come up at least an inch higher than the brake pedal, at times causing a bit of tap-dancing trying not to get caught between pedals.  Is this a normal condition for 69/70  and  would it hurt to install some kind of bumper to "level" the return height of the pedals?

1969 Sportsroof; L-code 250/3-spd 

Hello Ron,

I think people would have a few questions for you

mainly what type of brakes do you have power or no power. I think you must determine if the

brake pedal is too low or the clutch pedal is too high.

I think I would be concerned adding a stop - -you may remove the "free-play" in the clutch.

This would cause to throwout bearing to stay in contact with the pressure plate forks. This will

wear out your throwout bearing

So I am thinking perhaps you could adjust the clutch pedal linkage to lower the pedal

or you could lengthen the rod that goes to the master cylinder on the brake pedal/

Others far wiser than I will post - -but for now - please let us know about your bake set-up

then I and others will perhaps have more ideas

Best of Luck - -Sam Printdad

8 hours ago, Ron Miller said:

Hi, Glad PrintDad got to the end of his problem.  I have a follow-on question (hopefully not a repeat since I just joined). My clutch pedal has always seemed to come up at least an inch higher than the brake pedal, at times causing a bit of tap-dancing trying not to get caught between pedals.  Is this a normal condition for 69/70  and  would it hurt to install some kind of bumper to "level" the return height of the pedals?

1969 Sportsroof; L-code 250/3-spd 

This is normal for the clutch pedal to rest about an inch higher.

Kind of a funny topic and seems to be some variation.  My car for example is more like 2 inch's with the clutch pedal being higher.  Stock OE 69 parts, pedal support, 11.5 clutch assembly, Bendix booster and stock PDB's.  Correct pedals and stops.   Master cylinder NAPA M1929 w/1" bore could provide some variation from stock ?  Regardless the clutch pedal in most cases is higher at rest than the brake pedal.  Brian

11 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

The clutch pedal is supposed to be higher than the brake pedal by just about 1 inch

I have a '69 pedal assembly out of a car, and have noticed this on other cars many times.  I can see on the pedal assembly why it is happening, and am thinking about modifying it to keep the pedals inline (because I am kind of OCD).  Would there be any downside to doing that assuming the clutch is adjusted correctly underneath?

Many thanks to the members who've replied.  For Print Dad, the brakes at the time were standard 4-wheel 10-inch drums.

I will say now that the problem will be one of aesthetics (I like them inline, also)  as I intend to install a T-5 and the clutch will be cable operated.  The brakes will be 4-wheel disc, though I haven't decided whether to run a power booster or not. 

It does kinda make you wonder what the engineers were thinking to design the height difference into the swing pedal ass'y. 

Again, thanks, all.

1 hour ago, mqu02 said:

I have a '69 pedal assembly out of a car, and have noticed this on other cars many times.  I can see on the pedal assembly why it is happening, and am thinking about modifying it to keep the pedals inline (because I am kind of OCD).  Would there be any downside to doing that assuming the clutch is adjusted correctly underneath?

I think it may be so you get full travel in the pressure plate

IF your problem persists after all the springs are attached, check the pivot bushing on the clutch pedal support assembly. Many years ago I had the same problem and it turned out the bushing was slotted instead of round and dragging so much the pedal would not return that last inch and a half. I had to remove the pedal assembly and installed bearings, problem solved.

Hello Red Sportsroof

Thanks for the follow up idea.

It seems as though my issue is solved for now - I have not driven the car

since attaching the return spring - -been very hot and humid here.

I do need to take the car for an inspection this month so I gotta get it out soon

Thanks again - -Sam

Good to hear the springs did the trick, getting that pedal support assembly out is a pain in everything. Keep an eye on it though as when it goes bad it has to go. Brian's Pedal description is about right for manuals and especially with power brakes.

Jim