Rindelmach1

4-leaf or 5-leaf springs?

anyone recommend whether i should get 4-leaf or 5-leaf springs?  I'm not racing but i do like to drive it on the weekends in the back roads. also do i need to save my original ford springs if the car is original #s and trans matching?

It depends on the ride height you want, here's the recommendations I've seen:

Eaton rear springs, 1" lower mid eye ML1195. Somewhere I read that stock springs are 85 lbs/in but that doesn't jive well with the information below. These Eatons should match an Arning 1" drop in front.

Also: TCP mid eye (or reverse eye for lower) 4 leaf are 165 lbs TCP LSM-M40 $289. 4-1/2 leaf =180 lbs

Global West Del-a-Lum bushings and shackles

You should get lots of opinions.

A lot of personal preferences for this topic.  I use the Grab-A-Track 5 leaf mid-eye rear springs.  I think they have a rate of 195 lbs/inch.  In front I have the Grab-A-Track 600 lb./inch rated springs with the Arning drop on the upper control arms.  With Koni STR.T shocks which are NOT a high pressure gas shock and 70 series tires on the stock chrome Styled Steel wheels with 70 series tires the ride isn't bad.  Keep in mind lower profile tires will make the ride rougher.  Also, avoid a high pressure gas shocks like KYB Gas-A-Just when using strong springs.  

You have some good advice above.  I used 5-leaf 2" lowering springs from opentracker.  I have 15" rims with 275/60 tires and Bilstein shocks.  For me, the ride is surprisingly good.  I wouldn't mistake it for a luxury car but it doesn't leave me wanting to change anything.

If you have the original springs, they are probably worthless unless you are trying to go concours in your restoration.  I took pictures but ended up throwing mine away.  The ride height was a lot lower due to the springs collapsing over the years.  I didn't see any value in restoring them.

I went with 4-leaf from CJ Pony parts:  CJ Classics Leaf Spring Kit 1969-1973 , Item #: LSK3.  Pretty much stock leaf springs.  No issues with installation.  Rose my driverside up 1/4" and lowered my passenger side 1/4" 

However, make sure you measure your ride height before and after.  My Mustang rear passenger was much higher before (about 1") and still a little higher after.  It's normal so I installed a 1/2" lowering block to level her out. 

Original leaf springs are junk - toss 'em out or give them away. 

Ken