G'day

Would like to hear from anyone that has installed an AOD in a 69 Mach1, 351W with FMX.  I am thinking of buying one but it would be great the have some feedback from anyone with experience.  A complete kit is available from CJ Pony Parts...

https://www.cjponyparts.com/aod-automatic-conversion-kit-289-302-351w-1967-1970/p/AODCK4/

Cheers

I haven't done an AOD, but looked in too if for a while before going with a gear vendors unit.  But I looked at the kit and the only thing I would suggest is make sure you want a torque converter in that range, it's a little high for a stock engine, you will most likely need a new starter (different starters for different # of teeth on the flexplate), and verify the flexplate is balanced for your application.  Also I'd ask them who rebuilt the AOD it doesn't say, there are a lot more affordable AODs out there.

Personally I would buy the transmission, mounting kit, converter, and flex plate individually and make sure they all match you application.  

https://www.cjponyparts.com/aod-conversion-kit-1967-1973/p/AODCK2/

I've seen a lot of good reviews of these rebuilt transmissions.  They can also match a torque converter to your application.  
http://www.silverfoxtrans.com/silverfoxtrans.com/Home.html

Anyway my 2 cents

I haven't done it yet but intend to use a 4R70W, which is the last of the AODs, sometimes called and AODE and electronically controlled. They got all the bugs out of the AOD and you can set the shifts with the controller. Contact Joe Persad at premiergenerator@gmail.com. Hes a nice guy that can answer all your questions. As I recall, he makes a trans support and shifter linkage.

If you are mechanically inclined you can do the upgrade with an AOD or 4R a lot cheaper than the price of that kit.  You can pick up an AOD in the States for around 100 to 200 dollars working, not sure about Australia tho. I already had an AOD that was free to me and rebuilt it with the extra frictions and steels and did all the updates to it. Fab up my own cross member and shorten a 1995 mustang TV cable to fit the 69.  Used an aluminum  drive shaft from a 2 door 2 wheel drive explorer. I have less than a $1000 in the upgrade. I know your problem tho would be finding the bits and pieces and getting them shipped.  Good luck with your upgrade I hope it goes well for you.

As with the above comments, that seems like a high price.  Add maybe $500 to ship down under, and it gets costly.  As with det0226, I did mine for about $250 for everything I needed.  You should be able to find a used AOD for maybe $100-$200, and then buy the correct parts for your application.

The rebuilder is listed in the CJ ad as Performance Automatic. I agree that CJ's price is waayy too high. Shop around.

On a side note, why is a new tranny crossmember and driveshaft needed? I measured my fmx and aod, and the only real difference is the overall length of the aod was 1/4" longer in the tailhousing. The position of the trans mount and output shaft was within .080".

55 minutes ago, RPM said:

The rebuilder is listed in the CJ ad as Performance Automatic. I agree that CJ's price is waayy too high. Shop around.

On a side note, why is a new tranny crossmember and driveshaft needed? I measured my fmx and aod, and the only real difference is the overall length of the aod was 1/4" longer in the tailhousing. The position of the trans mount and output shaft was within .080".

My cross member would not work and was really easier to start from scratch which i did. seem to remember that maybe one (FMX) will work and the (C4) wouldn't or vice verse you may be right Bob because the one i had may be for a C4 not sure. Anyway on the drive shaft I didn't have one anyway so i found that the explorer would fit. I should have been more clear but I was stating what I did add to the upgrade and also a new 2600 stall converter that I forgot to mention and was still under $1000 just to give the OP another option  compared to the kit the he posted a link to

I've got a 408 stroker with the 4R70W. You'll need to fabricate a mount as the case is wide and won't allow the saddle mount between the tunnel support. Use to have picks of my install out here on my build project but lost all the pics when the site went down. sadness.

2 hours ago, 69Stanger408 said:

I've got a 408 stroker with the 4R70W. You'll need to fabricate a mount as the case is wide and won't allow the saddle mount between the tunnel support. Use to have picks of my install out here on my build project but lost all the pics when the site went down. sadness.

Ok, thanks. So the rear of tranny needs to sit lower due to the case hitting the tunnel?

Thanks for the feedback, appreciate each of your comments.

The price for the setup is similar from other suppliers like Summit and Jegs.  There is another supplier a bit cheaper and claim to have an improved AOD...

https://transmissioncenter.net/shop/transmission-aod-levels-2-3-dominator-junior-dominator-junior-extreme-550-and-600-hp-rated/

Do you know of this company and reputation?

It's difficult in AUS as we don't have a the range of suppliers you guys have plus we have to add 25% to convert to A$, add 10% duty, plus freight at around $400.  So the all up cost for me would be around A$5500.  The question, is it worth paying $5.5K for an overdrive.  I have a mild 351W and 3.5 rear with TrueTrac.  With this setup, would be great to have overdrive.

Cheers from down under.

Peter

has nothing to do with the fitment in the tunnel with the exception that the case is wider, specifically at the support brace of the tunnel. There is no way to use a mount that sandwiches the support structure like all other trans mounts, i.e, typical bracket sandwiches the support structure of the tunnel, a long bolt goes through one side and out the other....for the 4R70W, you will have a front support bracket only, the bolt goes through the bracket, through the support brace structure followed by a washer and nut.

2 hours ago, 69Stanger408 said:

Added pics to clarify.

trans 1.jpg

Ah, I get it now. Even though I removed the pan just the other day and thought the pan was mighty big, it didn't dawn on me the rear of the pan is in the way. Thank you!

7 hours ago, demon69 said:

Thanks for the feedback, appreciate each of your comments.

It's difficult in AUS as we don't have a the range of suppliers you guys have plus we have to add 25% to convert to A$, add 10% duty, plus freight at around $400.  So the all up cost for me would be around A$5500.  The question, is it worth paying $5.5K for an overdrive.  I have a mild 351W and 3.5 rear with TrueTrac.  With this setup, would be great to have overdrive.

Cheers from down under.

Peter

Peter, if my only option for an overdrive was to spend $5,500, I wouldn't. It would take a bunch of miles to make up for the better gas mileage. Have you thought of putting bigger gears in the rear end? I installed a set of 2.50s last year to drive from California to Florida. My 393W has enough torque to make low speed driving with the 2.50s not bad at all. I did a lot of driving in towns in 2nd gear. Even if you went to 3.00 or 2.80, your 351 should have enough torque for low end driving, and not spin so much on the open road. YMMV.

Actually, just went from stock 3.00 to 3.5 and it much more punchier now as you would expect.  I haven't got a tacho but at our speed limit of 100kph, the speedo reads about 70mph.  I have calculated the revs would be around 2800 at that speed which is not excessive.  Rear tires are BF TA Radials, 235 60 15, I think the diameter is around 26.5 inches.

Demon you need to look at some local sources maybe.  TCI street fighter from VPW complete with TC etc is @$4k.   

Add another $500 for tv cable etc etc.

vpw list a heap of aod’s From TCI and Prrformance Automatics.  

13 hours ago, demon69 said:

69Stanger408, what brand coil overs have you installed?  What do you have at the rear?

Thanks

I have the Total Cost Involved Mustang II front suspension & Heidts 4 link in the rear w/Currie 9" crate rearend w/3.89 gears.

20170514_200539.jpg

20170514_200858.jpg

20170823_200735.jpg

20170824_175940_HDR.jpg