bigmal

What have you done for your Man Cave today?

Hi all, thought I'd start a blog about the best room in the house, the garage. I'd love to see what people have done. May give me some ideas. I fitted air-conditioning on the weekend. Best thing ever. Even with the doors opened it keeps the garage warm. No more avoiding the garage because it's too hot or too cold.

Garage 1.jpg

Garage 2.jpg

Garage 3.jpg

10 minutes ago, Mach1 Driver said:

Nice indeed. What are the brands of outboards? I see at least one Mercury and Johnson.

Thanks for that. Left to right - British Anzani, Johnson 3, Evinrude 7.5, Mercury 10, Evinrude 6, Mercury 11, Mercury 6 and a couple more in the shed.

There's something you don't see often, a US flag displayed other than at an embassy in another country. And correctly at that. Looks like you have the same mustang clock as I have over my desk in my man-corner (house too small for a man cave). Nice place.

On 7/20/2018 at 10:59 PM, Ridge Runner said:

I opened the door ,looked inside ,and closed it again ,my car did not finish its self ...

X2 I am with you on that to Ridge, my car is still at the point that I left it 3 weeks ago. LOL. I added a new sign to the man cave (garage).

58344-7-22-18-added-new-sign-to-garage.j

I built my 950 sq ft shop back in 2002-04 mostly by myself. I had help laying the concrete, some framing, sheetrock and roofing. I lost all the build picks before I knew about saving them. The layout was restricted by my current house, fence line and pool. My major mistake was not going up. I kept the walls at 8' to match mine and the neighbors homes. What was I thinking? I am thinking of vaulting the ceiling of the main area to allow a lift. 

1432798218_Shopplans.jpg.10a3130f42e7433a6d441ece32c223eb.jpg97226573_shopatnight.jpg.46890a9205f97079eebb20fb9c72234c.jpg444592453_shopinterior.jpg.61c1f00b4173937604108c8428a9ea84.jpg346872311_shopexterior.jpg.52cf56e5ffc9a42dd594a38d513e5848.jpg862761481_shopinterior.jpg.6341cb7892fe203eeafa336d51c084de.jpg

I did buy a portable swamp cooler last year for the shop. It sure helps on the warm days, on the days over 100, not so much. No heating, as our winters aren't really winters to other folks.

This fold down table gives me much needed work surface, and when down allows cars to be moved in and out.

1960773345_folddownweldingtable.thumb.jpg.d3e966718cf2b865233260887da2db4b.jpg

Another area I screwed up was not running air, water and electrical to the outer area of the roll up door. This pic is something like what I'm thinking of doing to the ceiling.

726589973_raisedceiling.jpg.952bc416f50544afd501235ef05b8a3f.jpg 

And everybody should have a poster of The King of Cool in their shop.

1045617201_McQueeninshop.thumb.jpg.2185185e23bb3a81ba319f54278a5606.jpg

Very nice RPM, what kind of mill is that? Its fairly large. I'm planning on getting a mini mill and lathe from Little Machine Shop, but bigger is always better. Oh and the couch is a nice touch.

Since my working garage is in the basement, I had to get a lift that wouldn't bounce the cars off the ceiling so I got a MaxJak. I had to have the concrete cut out and a new foundation poured, but the whole thing is meant to be portable. I keep one column stationary and move the other to fit the Mustang or Vette. It doesn't go up as far as I like but I have a roller seat that lets me zip around underneath the cars while sitting upright.

Thanks Terry. Not the biggest or best equipped space, but I'm grateful for the stuff I have. And it's all just stuff. The "large" mill is more of a medium size, manual and Chicom. Nothing fancy, but they sure come in handy when needed. It's also my brother's mill, I'm just "storing" it for him. Works for me! It really comes in handy when using a hole saw for coping tubing. Cuts any angle and offset cuts easily. 

1799190368_offsetlca.thumb.jpg.42896e2f7ad5de21f72de764c02d7081.jpg

Ya, the couch, it was nice when I had room. As you might know, the number 1 rule of a shop is you gather just a bit more stuff than you have room to fit it.

Here's a really cool mini Bridgeport. Dude that built it has it amongst other stuff on display in LA somewhere.

In what part of Atlanta are you located? I spent 18 hours in the airport a year ago when I went to Augusta. Beautiful area.

1550433946_MiniBridgeport.JPG.6d5546355ab1779f0f5589ca467a86ab.JPG 

44 minutes ago, RPM said:

Thanks Terry. Not the biggest or best equipped space, but I'm grateful for the stuff I have. And it's all just stuff. The "large" mill is more of a medium size, manual and Chicom. Nothing fancy, but they sure come in handy when needed. It's also my brother's mill, I'm just "storing" it for him. Works for me! It really comes in handy when using a hole saw for coping tubing. Cuts any angle and offset cuts easily. 

Ya, the couch, it was nice when I had room. As you might know, the number 1 rule of a shop is you gather just a bit more stuff than you have room to fit it.

Here's a really cool mini Bridgeport. Dude that built it has it amongst other stuff on display in LA somewhere.

In what part of Atlanta are you located? I spent 18 hours in the airport a year ago when I went to Augusta. Beautiful area.

That Chicom mill is huge by mini-mill standards. That's a cool little Bridgeport. I'm about an hour northwest of the airport in Powder Springs. As my real estate agent said, you're right on the edge of nowhere. Everything beyond me is small farms and ranches with horses, cows, goats, mules, and donkeys. One place has miniature horses, and another has at least one emu. Atlanta is supposed to be the most canopied (treed) major city in the US. My grandson who lives in Arizona said its like living in a tree maze. We see deer, raccoons, possums, armadillos, groundhogs, and there's a flock of around 11 wild turkeys that roam around our yard daily.

1 hour ago, Mach1 Driver said:

That Chicom mill is huge by mini-mill standards. That's a cool little Bridgeport. I'm about an hour northwest of the airport in Powder Springs. As my real estate agent said, you're right on the edge of nowhere. Everything beyond me is small farms and ranches with horses, cows, goats, mules, and donkeys. One place has miniature horses, and another has at least one emu. Atlanta is supposed to be the most canopied (treed) major city in the US. My grandson who lives in Arizona said its like living in a tree maze. We see deer, raccoons, possums, armadillos, groundhogs, and there's a flock of around 11 wild turkeys that roam around our yard daily.

No flamingos???  Damn...

Put security sensors in the garage and a brighter light outside, couple of picks of the garage but it's really untidy and the C6 is out of the Mach 1.

The messy bench across to the right of the tool chest is my reloading bench.

Big cleanup after i get the Mustang going again.

P1010400.JPG

P1010401.JPG

P1010405.JPG