rwcstang

Tow Hook/Straps

Hello All, 

Has anyone ever installed a tow hook or strap on the front and rear of their mustang? if so, where did you install it? is bolted or welded better? I've seen tow hooks/straps on earlier mustangs but I have yet to see one on 69-70 models. 

Have not found it necessary to add anything to the car for towing hook ups.  On my car  there's not much extra room down there.  A ' long J hook ' on the lower control arms is what the tow truck driver uses.  Doesn't harm my front spoiler and gets on the flat bed just fine.  That said; I like those tow hooks posted by Grabber.  Any info on where to get a set ?  Brian

Tow 6.JPG

TOW 1.JPG

For the rear I made ones that go between the shock plate and the leaf spring. They also incorporate the location to connect the rear sway bar

for the front I was going to weld a plate with loop to the front bumper bracket. When I boxed my lower arms I should have welded a loop to the lower arm at the time

easiest thing is to go to Cobra Automotive and they make ones that clamp to the rear axle and bolt,to the same bolts that hold the strut rod to the lower arm

2 hours ago, Brian Conway said:

Have not found it necessary to add anything to the car for towing hook ups.  On my car  there's not much extra room down there.  A ' long J hook ' on the lower control arms is what the tow truck driver uses.  Doesn't harm my front spoiler and gets on the flat bed just fine.  That said; I like those tow hooks posted by Grabber.  Any info on where to get a set ?  Brian

Tow 6.JPG

TOW 1.JPG

https://www.awdirect.com/category.asp?id=498&start=11

Or

https://www.truckntow.com/tow-chains-straps/tow-hooks-tiedown-hooks/frame-hooks.html

This might be a dumb question, but the hook Grabber70Mach posted looks like it would fit perfectly in the factory tie town brackets in the rear of the car (which were supposed to be removed at the dealer).  I have never seen where the front of these cars were tied down.  Does anyone know where it was, and if one of those brackets fits it? 

13 hours ago, mqu02 said:

I have never seen where the front of these cars were tied down.  Does anyone know where it was, and if one of those brackets fits it? 

According to Bob Gaines, Ford used J-hooks on the front frame rails to tie down cars leaving the factory.

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=13046.msg79761#msg79761

I had forgotten about that post on Concoursmustang forum. But, the OP is asking about Tow hooks, not tie down points. There is mention of using the J hook on the front frame, but I do not know what spot is used, and if it or a strap would clear the body if used as a tow point?

Since I'm making a custom fiberglass lower nose I'm adding the structure below between the bumper brackets. A shackle will hang off the center plate which is removable and interchangeable with a license plate  bracket. I'll probably tie this into the radiator support also.

Frt Bumper Structure.png

I'd be pissed if a truck driver slung j-hooks around my lower control arms. Default tow truck chains these days have "Ford" hooks like Grabber70mach illustrated above.

tow_chain_rtj_hook_pear_link_LRG_2048x.j

It's too easy to hook a pair of those into the oval holes in the frame and pull a car up on to the truck. If a car can drive itself onto the truck then all you need is the tire straps. When you use tire straps (correctly) no one has to worry about paint chips anywhere on their concours restored underside. OK mine is nothing like concours, restored, or even worth a crap but I still wouldn't use those big old hooks.

Here I'm using exactly those frame hooks to load and secure my alleged car. I didn't feel I needed to use those paint-saving tire straps at the time.

20110826192131.jpg

On 7/13/2018 at 12:18 PM, 69RavenConv said:

According to Bob Gaines, Ford used J-hooks on the front frame rails to tie down cars leaving the factory.

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=13046.msg79761#msg79761

Thanks for the link, and I have seen quite a few pictures of how the tie downs in the rear of the car worked, but I have never seen a vintage picture of the tie downs connected in the front.  I am just curious on this, and one of these days I am going to have to get under my cars to see if I can figure out where they were connected.

Hey all, 

just to clarify, I'm not looking for tie downs when on a trailer, though I will take note of the links provided.

I am more interested in where to put a tow strap or loop, like Kevin31 and RogerC pics, this is just so if my car can't move under its own power, I can just have the tow truck just hook up to a location which will not put stress on the frame or suspension parts when being pulled on to the bed. Just like the older/modern race cars they have locations on the frame in case they get stuck somewhere.

I am running a chin spoiler so I will need to figure out a location where it won't interfere/rub with any parts.

I have attached photos for reference. 

Screen Shot 2018-07-15 at 10.15.19 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-15 at 10.16.36 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-15 at 10.16.45 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-15 at 10.19.50 AM.png

I like what rwcstang has linked pictures to for race tow purposes.  Many a late model vehicle these days has such an eyebolt that could be used, especially the Euro cars.

Properly inserted into the correct reinforced frame holes meant for their use, an issue with tearing a frame hole or even scratching frame paint is rare. The main problem is that lazy tow drivers don't bother with the Ford hooks and use the much easier and quicker mini j-hooks. THOSE can and do tear sheet metal, especially if the operator overly tightens the car down on the bed with the winch. And very much so when used in non reinforced holes and when not used in pairs. 

Lately I've been favoring using tire straps to tie down with. With those used properly none of what's securing the car to the bed or trailer has to contact any painted surface.

Basically you can successfully pull, load, and tie a car down about any way mentioned in this thread as long as you do it with care and a bit of sense. IMHO.