Midlife

It's Back! So WTF Happened?

Dont know if the Admin had the opportunity to save any of the photos that were lost, or if they were just deleted for space. My avatar along with others is gone. I'll have to see if I can just link one instead of uploading one. Sorry to all those that lost the images in their build threads. The photos in my thread that I posted are still there, as they are only links to my personal photo gallery. Others that posted photos to my build, well, they are gone. yes, I know it is quite annoying.  

As mentioned, I can also see the issue with trying to rebuild the threads or start new ones knowing that this issue can arise again. But then look what PhotoBucket did to those that were using them to host their pictures. So I am not sure what the real solution is. I do know that someone has to foot the bill to pay for the storage. So is that the members or the forum. And if the forum, how much advertising are you willing to put up with?

I never use social media- its too intrusive, and as stated above you can't follow the thread.

There is such a thing as a Content Delivery Network. This site would code all pictures to be stored there so they don't take up space on the forum's server, they are stored elsewhere. Of course someone has to pay. Perhaps users could somehow to charged by memory usage. Someone with a build thread and lots of pics would be using more memory and be charged accordingly. It could be run automatically thru paypal. Google Cloud has a storage service. Of course the owner may not want to get involved in such a setup. The reason VMF has so many advertisers is because of the traffic, and they restrict uploads to a mostly unusable amount. 

Two thumbs down on FB, not on it and never will be. I'm on pro-touring as much as I'm on here and they started self hosting pics when the photobucket fiasco went down. Don't know the specifics but might be something to look into.

I'm on FB, but have never been active.   It was someone on a late model Mustang forum that abandoned the forum and started a FB page instead that got me to join.   I find his page really annoying, and not at all useful / functional like a forum.   As others have said, too many idiots posting dumb comments or inaccurate information.

I don't have the spare time to follow the lives of FB friends nor do I have the time or even feel compelled to post anything about my daily life.

So back to the FORUM  … how do I fix my avatar ??   See that some of you have already done so, but don't see how to do it in my settings.

Doug

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 7:41 PM, latoracing said:

All mine are gone too, again...

Not up for a third attempt

Yep,  Lots and lots of members valuable picture records and resources that took time and effort to post simply deleted and lost forever at the click of a button.

I think the forum has lost its mojo.

Guys (and Gals): you spend 1000's of dollars on your cars each year.  A website and domain run about $65/year where you can store your own pictures and link them as you see fit.  I don't understand how each of you are such cheapskates.

JMHO.

13 minutes ago, Midlife said:

Guys (and Gals): you spend 1000's of dollars on your cars each year.  A website and domain run about $65/year where you can store your own pictures and link them as you see fit.  I don't understand how each of you are such cheapskates.

JMHO.

I would have to assume most members don't know that is even possible...   I am pretty much computer savvy, in fact I have been writing code for over 20 years. But I have never been Website or Domain owning savvy...   In my job, I use the internet several hours a day for research, but I have never had any interest in owning a website and/or domain because my employer took care of that end of our needs...   If I didn't know, even in my capacity as an engineer and researcher, I have to believe not too many other people would know this information.  But since I am an information "Sponge", I truly do appreciate this info!!!   Thanks  Midlife!!!

Redshost.com will not be down tomorrow while I change the server's power supply as I will be simply switching over to my backup server while the maintenance is being performed. Nobody will even know anything happened.  :-)

Yea, the geeks may understand...

10 hours ago, Midlife said:

JMHO.

Tell us a little bit about that Mid- do you own the hardware (server) or does someone host the site for you, for only $65/year?

16 minutes ago, Midlife said:

My websites are at Godaddy.com.  They host my harness site and my personal site where I upload pictures that I want to have posted on the 'Net. 

http://midlifeharness.com

http://midlife66.com

Their site says its about $8/month, or $96/yr when you renew. Not bad and they handle all the hardware issues I guess. You have to make the website- is this easy enough for neophytes or do you need to hire someone?

4 hours ago, Mach1 Driver said:

Their site says its about $8/month, or $96/yr when you renew. Not bad and they handle all the hardware issues I guess. You have to make the website- is this easy enough for neophytes or do you need to hire someone?

Sounds like a deal. I already have a domain name that I have pointed to my home account, where I have my personal WEB server running. Keeping it running, running backups, and having a totally spare backup server is a pain. It might be worth $8 a month to let someone else worry about the hardware.

On 7/15/2018 at 1:46 PM, Mach1 Driver said:

Ok guys here is someone else that uses imgur- to see how go to post 20 in this string

Can you see posts where they're numbered? 

51 minutes ago, RPM said:

Can you see posts where they're numbered? 

I will have to check. I sort mine in albums. You can share the whole album or single pics. You can also attach comments on each picture easily.  For sharing, the album can be set so that it can be viewed with a link but not posted publicly on the imgur website.

12 hours ago, bswor said:

I can probably recover the majority of the images if I had the time.  It's a big job to go through the backups though.  But I need to look into another hosting company which is a process to get everything switched over.  I'll keep y'all posted.

You might Google "Mythos Media"- full disclosure, its my kids (my son and his wife)

8 hours ago, sixt9stang said:

I will have to check. I sort mine in albums. You can share the whole album or single pics. You can also attach comments on each picture easily.  For sharing, the album can be set so that it can be viewed with a link but not posted publicly on the imgur website.

I find Imgur difficult to use, and if an image isn't viewed in 6 months they delete it. I'm trying to figure out albums, but it doesn't work the way they say it does. Part of the problem could be that I'm running Linux not Windows.

5 minutes ago, Mach1 Driver said:

I find Imgur difficult to use, and if an image isn't viewed in 6 months they delete it. I'm trying to figure out albums, but it doesn't work the way they say it does. Part of the problem could be that I'm running Linux not Windows.

Just checked out my albums that I have on there.  I have some that have 0 views from June 2017 so they must have removed the delete after 6 months rule at some point.  I will have to try from my Linux machine to see how much different it is.  Maybe I can help out in some way.

One thing is, I only use Imgur for when I want to post images on a forum or Reddit.  If people want a good option for backing up their photos online I use OneDrive.  There are other options like Google Drive, Amazon, and probably a million others.  If you use OneDrive or Google you can share the images from there also but last time I did that it wasn't very smooth.