newstang

Redo of my Mach1 restomod 4.6

On 8/6/2018 at 8:50 AM, mustangstofear said:

Yes you would  need to flush the system.  Dot 5 is all I've used for the last 25 years.

What product do you use to flush the lines. 

2 hours ago, RPM said:

Ya, I've had to redo more that one part for that same reason. Anymore I'm surprised when I have a clear mind and don't make mistakes.

well, even with the new tight support, looks like the exhaust still will hit the tranny. Oh well, more money!

So I bought this power steering reservoir, all aluminum. hooked everything up, filled it, and overnight a puddle on the floor. so i figured its those damn -an  fittings. tightened up again and still a leak. Turnes out those bungs leak from probably a bed weld. took it all apart, cleaned and used JB weld around the bungs. Let's see if that holds.

IMG_3710.thumb.jpg.5ad30cf92296616fa71e0bff7f9bf32d.jpg

IMG_3718.jpg

2 hours ago, newstang said:

So I bought this power steering reservoir, all aluminum. hooked everything up, filled it, and overnight a puddle on the floor. so i figured its those damn -an  fittings. tightened up again and still a leak. Turnes out those bungs leak from probably a bed weld. took it all apart, cleaned and used JB weld around the bungs. Let's see if that holds.

IMG_3710.thumb.jpg.5ad30cf92296616fa71e0bff7f9bf32d.jpg

IMG_3718.jpg

I think I'd have drained & cleaned it and took it somewhere to have someone TIG all the way around on both those bungs. Probably not worth returning anyhow. Best to just fix it. FYI, for leaking flared AN fittings, there are aluminum cone washers somewhere out there to use to seal problem fittings. I have no idea where to get them but I've used them in a previous life.

22 hours ago, RogerC said:

I think I'd have drained & cleaned it and took it somewhere to have someone TIG all the way around on both those bungs. Probably not worth returning anyhow. Best to just fix it. FYI, for leaking flared AN fittings, there are aluminum cone washers somewhere out there to use to seal problem fittings. I have no idea where to get them but I've used them in a previous life.

I was going to weld it, but had too much else to do. The jB weld actually worked really well. the leak was just seeping from around the bung, this seemed to fix it. well see in the long run.

9 hours ago, mustangstofear said:

You  did a nice job installing the shifter to the factory  console.

thx, its not as good as i wanted, but better than i expected.

the worst part is finding the mark vii shifter cable. its not made and one guy on ebay sells them used for a lot of $$

5 minutes ago, newstang said:

thx, its not as good as i wanted, but better than i expected.

the worst part is finding the mark vii shifter cable. its not made and one guy on ebay sells them used for a lot of $$

Red button is normal/ sport mode

green light is OD off

IMG_3758.thumb.jpg.5d7309661a5ce301312b141bff7ad031.jpg

23 hours ago, RPM said:

Damn, what'd it take, 5 weeks?

yea, there about, but now I'm chasing gremlins. has no power steering or brakes for the hydroboost. I'm changing the pump tomorrow, hoping that's it. then, of course, found two leaks. and a friggen belt squeal even though everything is new.

never ends!