alex

coil spring saddle comparison

2 hours ago, alex said:

The cheaper one has stockish replacement rubber bushings, while the more expensive ones have 'synthetic elastomer bushings'  , has grease fittings, and  also from the photo it looks like the more expensive one has nicer hardware.  I would assume the upgraded bushing would give better range of motion.  This is a step toward Rollerized perches which I agree with Mike65 is the way to go, but the more expensive ones here should be an improvement over stock.

Alex I've run both versions.  Not on the 69 but on my 65 GT.  I prefer the stock version because they delivered; firmer, better handling, more responsive steering.  I ran the HD version for about 2000 miles and the usually rock solid steering characteristic's were denigrated to a ' wobbley ' and loose front end subject to wandering.   Pulled them out replaced with the ' cheaper ' set  and the predictable handling traits have returned.  Now that is my experience and opinion.  Street driving, not on a race car or running a modified suspension.  Just a plain old Mustang.  Brian

Thanks for the information Brian.  Not the feedback I was expecting.  From the description of the performance version, it seems to be part of the way to the roller version with the ability to rotate further on the shaft.  Any idea what could result in less definite tracking with the performance version?

I have already done the arning drop, adjustable strut rods and put in drop springs.  The typical low budget changes.  

2 minutes ago, alex said:

Thanks for the information Brian.  Not the feedback I was expecting.  From the description of the performance version, it seems to be part of the way to the roller version with the ability to rotate further on the shaft.  Any idea what could result in less definite tracking with the performance version?

I have already done the arning drop, adjustable strut rods and put in drop springs.  The typical low budget changes.  

I nor anyone else I know ever had any of the probs brian is stating and it is nearly impossible for a spring perch to cause those probs and the performance drake ones are the same type many mfgs like ford and gm etc use on some of their vehicles.

My immediate goal is to replace a worn out spring perch.  The long term goal is to improve the handling with no intention to race the car nor spend thousands of dollars on the suspension.  Perhaps not a very helpful description of goals.

Btw, I have also converted my car to manual steering.

I am not on a budget at all but do want to make sure that the changes I make are useful.  I think with the input from this thread I have the information I need.  Thanks for the quick replies.  Keep the conversation going though if there is more information.