Hux

Seat riser repositioning?

As I near the point where I am ready to weld in the seat riser I a, wondering about whether anyone has repositioned one.

i am 6’5” or 195cm and solid - some may say “unkindly” carry a few extra pounds as well so the cockpit  of the Mach 1 is not currently spacious. 

I have a new ds seat riser and thinking of modding it to drop it but wondering about also moving it back an inch and putting new holes in the floor on to suit?  Any thoughts or issues with this approach?

ps back seat space behind the driver is not a consideration to me 

The only thing that comes to mind is where the seat belts mount. If using OEM belts probably want matter but some of the aftermarket 3 point belts that stock hole right behind the seat is where the retract mechanism  mounts. My seat riser is in the stock position and with the seat all way back is against the retracter. 

I'm 6'-2-1/4" and moved mine back 3/4". That's the furthest I could move them and still be able to reach the nuts from below without modifying the access holes.

We normally move the seat pans back 2 inches,and only use the 69-70 for all replacements. On all our 3 point seat belt installs, we move the mounting anchor 6 inches forward in the tunnel. That's the only way you would be able to latch the seat belt if your using the hard buckle in the center.  

I am ~6' 4.5" and have my drivers side seat riser out as well just waiting on making the decision where to weld it in.

I was leaning towards about 2.75" back based on rough tests I did with my seat bolted to the replacement riser (I don't have any pedals or steering finalized in the car yet, so I just bolted them in to see how it would be).  I had to guess on how high the pedals will be off the floorpan though which is why I am unsure.  I guessed about 8" high for the brake pedal, does anyone know for heights for power brake and clutch pedals?  I already welded patches in for the original seat mounting holes, figured I will drill new ones at the final location.

In addition, don't really like how the front of the seat riser will not have the support of the front frame rail extension anymore if I relocate it backwards.

Seems like a lot of work, but I will likely install spintech subframes to help support the floorpan and seat riser now that I'm moving these back.

I never really thought about having to move the seat belt mounting points, I guess that one is now on the list as well...  

I figured I would set the pans as far back as I need them (maybe even err on the side of too far) and could always pull the seat forward if needed since I sit all the way back on the seat track.  I wanted to drop the pan as well, but it just seems like a LOT of fabrication work and I'd probably weaken the seat riser.  I think I am going to leave it as is and use the MTF headliner and perhaps find seats that are lower. 

I'd be interested to hear what you end up with and how you like it; but frankly 3/4" doesn't seem far enough back to me personally. I will let you know what I end with once it's done if you're interested..

Steve

Thanks all.  Thanks for the tip on the seat belt issue.  I’ll look at that.  I’m going to run 3 pt but have stock to play with anyway.  

I will put in new floor pan holes and fill old ones as required so no issue -that is the easy part. I’m not too concerned over the weight issue the riser welds to the tunnel and sill as well as floor so there is a lot of weight distribution.  

To be honest I have not looked at how to modify the riser height but like all metal work it’s just measure cut and weld .

Leg room first. Thigh height second!  I’ll play with the seat belt position before I make any changes.

On 7/5/2018 at 9:19 PM, mustangstofear said:

It's  best to do a mock up with the old seat and everything  else  installed,  then you can make adjustments with the seat. The seats  we designed  are lower and sit back and additional  inch, it might  not seem like a lot , but it does help. 

So what is the best way to move the seat belt mount on the sill?  Seems unless you have sills off it’s going to look ugly  my thought for something relatively neat was drill a new hole in the sill to recess a captive welded nut which was on say 1/4 plate. Spot or seam weld said plate onto sill in the set back position. 

7 hours ago, mustangstofear said:

Why would you want to move the one on the sill ? We  move the anchor in the tunnel 6 inches forward, because  the hard buckle would be to far back to reach. 

Do you install 3-point retractable seat belts?  If so, what brand do you use?  It seems most people have a problem with the seat hitting the retractor when the seat is moved farther back than the stock position.  Are the retractors you use much smaller than what are typically available?

3 hours ago, mustangstofear said:

We hide the retractor in the qtr panel. We have plates made that we just weld in . The 69-70 qtr trim is a little tough,  this is why I said we will probably  go with a retractable  4 point using our roll bar.

Are you able to post a picture of the hidden retractor. This sounds interesting.