Sign in to follow this  
ralt962

Fuel Gauge not working

Hoping someone can help point me to where to look next for my issue with the fuel gauge.  Basically it doesn't move at all. It stays on E.   I have the dash apart at the moment.  Midlife helped me resolve a number of issues on the cluster lights and gauges, but this one has me stumped. 

I have about 4 gallons in the tank. - new tank, new float, checked the resistance before installing the sender.  Its ok.

I get about 54 ohms between the sender and ground.  Seems right.

Tank is grounded.

New CB.

Checked to make sure none of the gauges were grounded at the studs.

I get about 54 ohms at the connector going into the CB.  (chased that one for a hour when I figured out the schematic i have was wrong).

I put 9 volts to the gauge and it moves.  Heads toward full.

I tried to ground the sending wire with the ignition on,  unless I'm doing this wrong  I dont get movement in the gauge.  I only touch the ground for a second. Maybe not long enough.

Still the gauge is on E.  Doesn't move ignition on or off.

New voltage stabilizer.  Could that be bad?

thanks

No, the gauge works when he applies 9 volts to the gauge. 

Measure the resistance from the pin into the dash cluster (yellow-white) to ground with the connector removed: it should get your 54 ohms.  If much greater than that, then a wire is broken somewhere between the dash cluster connector and the sending unit.  If you do get 54 ohms, then there is a problem on the circuit board from that point to the gauge. 

Went back through the wiring, but retraced back to the grounded studs.  I thought I had that one set but that dual gauge set was grounded when I went back.

Very touchy to get them just right.  Once triple checked the gauge works.  When you think you have those set, check again.  I even took a thin slice of electrical tape and wrapped the bottom of the studs.  They still grounded out.  Gauge moves slowly, which is what is supposed to do.  

Thanks again for your help and patience.