bryonbush

Advice in clutch linkages

I'm in need of/need to replace every linkage for the fastback including the Z bar pivot points. I don't see any reason to go back to the stock style system that will wear out. So I'm looking at the opentracker roller set up or going to a clutch cable as both come out around the same price. Any recommendations on either of the two kits? 

I would do hydraulic. I put one in my car and its one of the best modifications I did. really cleans up the area. headers have more clearance and it feels like a new car clutch. I used 1 from Modern Driveline with an internal throw out bearing/slave cylinder combo.

are you using a stock pressure plate?

you will be dead and buried long before you wear out a stock system if you replace it.

the roller bracket is a nice upgrade. you can also install heim joints at some of the pivot points.

aftermarket cable systems are crap.

hydraulic throw out bearings can and do leak even if it is a tilton, and depending on the slave and bearing combo, it may or may not disengage your clutch enough because not all of them use the same leverage ratio as the stock linkage. they just throw miscellaneous pieces together without doing any research/engineering whatsoever and advertise that it will work.

I do not like the feel of a hydraulic clutch ,i dont know why it just feels strange to me . A well setup stock setup ,with heim ends and roller pivots is the only way i will go . I know a stock set up sometimes interfears with headers ,but for me it is a more positive feel ,and i never grind gears like with a hydro setup. 

1 hour ago, barnett468 said:

are you using a stock pressure plate?

you will be dead and buried long before you wear out a stock system if you replace it.

the roller bracket is a nice upgrade. you can also install heim joints at some of the pivot points.

aftermarket cable systems are crap.

hydraulic throw out bearings can and do leak even if it is a tilton, and depending on the slave and bearing combo, it may or may not disengage your clutch enough because not all of them use the same leverage ratio as the stock linkage. they just throw miscellaneous pieces together without doing any research/engineering whatsoever and advertise that it will work.

I rarely say this, but I agree with barnett468 on this.  Well, I've never used this aftermarket stuff to experience the leaking, but it wouldn't surprise me.  About a year ago when my trans was out I looked at Modern Driveline's hydraulic clutch setup simply to eliminate the stock clutch linkage and have a cleaner setup.  After speaking with them I quickly decided against it when they told me the trans has to move back to fit the slave cylinder assembly.  So I needed either a different bellhousing or the spacer they offer.  I don't know what can of worms moving the trans back would open up.  At that point it seemed like it wasn't designed/engineered for these cars and more a collection of parts that sort-of-kind-of and with other modifications work pretty good together.  It happens in the aftermarket world.  You need to educate yourself so you know what you are getting into.  For me the stock clutch linkage works fine.  Just make certain the assist spring is installed, you have the correct return spring, and the pedal effort is not bad at all.  You can push the pedal down with one hand.